Rotary tool with reverse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a rotary tool that can reverse direction? The problem is that when I use my rotary tool with wire brushes, all the wires end up pointing away from the direction of travel and therefore are ineffective at abrading the surface. Frequently reversing the direction of rotation would solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Quite a few air driven die grinders are reversible. Most newer power drills are reversible.

How is it a strange question? Is it strange to want to use a rotary tool to scour surfaces with a wire brush attachment?

Sponsored Links
How is it a strange question? Is it strange to want to use a rotary tool to scour surfaces with a wire brush attachment?

A lot of attachments are directional, which is why it was a strange question.

A lot of attachments are directional, which is why it was a strange question.

But some of them aren't? Have I not explained the situation sufficiently? Are you confused as to the purpose of reversing a the direction of a wire brush?

A lot of drills are reversible, but I find they go noticably slower when in reverse.

Nozzle

But some of them aren't? Have I not explained the situation sufficiently? Are you confused as to the purpose of reversing a the direction of a wire brush?

You'll get no support by being a condescending ****, believe me.

The problem about using high speed tools in reverse is that the collet nuts have a tendency to undo themselves if/when the motor is run in reverse. This is presuanbly why tools such as routers don't have a reverse. I'm not an engineer, but the same applies to both corded and cordless die grinders (which are similar to Dremel type tools) as well in my limited experience. BTW I use a Makita 18 volt cordless model at times on site which replaced a Dremel. Presumably the air powered tools use a locknut system to prevent this problem occurring.

Drills, running much more slowly (up to 3,000 rpm as opposed to 10,000rpm) and using keyed chucks are easier to lock when running in reverse

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, get the sets where the wheels come off...

51d5eZ1SYoL._SS500_.jpg

Then you can just flip the wheel over when the bristles are all curved backwards.

You do realise that's a tiny little thing with a 4mm mandrel?

Nozzle

You do realise that's a tiny little thing with a 4mm mandrel?

Yeah, I figured the OP was talking about a Dremel type tool? They didn't say specifically which "rotary tool".

If you are bending the wire brush you are applying to much pressure. Incorrect use is your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back