Rotavating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to rotavate my garden today, although the ground was reasonably soft the rotivator just wouldn't dig in, it just sort of scratched the surface.

I got my fork and turned the earth over, so it looks like a ploughed field, now the rotivator gets through it.

Is this the only way to do it, I've got a fairly big garden?

Also, I have to stand on the soil when I push the rotivator, surely I'm compacting it all again?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
With a bit more info, I might be able to advise.
Can you describe what sort of rotavator you were using - has it got powered wheels, or is it a small one which pulls itself along on its tines?
Is there an adjustable depth control skid? What is the working width of the machine?
Finally, what sort of soil are you on? - looks like a clay loam from the pic.

It's a medium duty rotivator, hired from Jewsons. It had a reverse and forward gears, it has got powered wheels. It does have an adjustable depth control.

Don't know what the soil type is, my fork goes in easy enough, and I can turn it over quite easily, and it breaks up easily with a tap of the fork. Water does sit on areas of the garden like its been compacted in the past.

Thanks for your help.

sounds like depth to me. i really doubt you should be needing to do any manual work first.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for delay in replying.
This seems odd - if you can turn over the soil fairly easily with a fork then a medium powered rotavator should work to a depth of 75mm on the first pass quite easily.
Regarding the depth skid, you may either have had this set too high or too low. If the skid is set too low then the skid will be running over the soil with the tines above it or at the same depth, achieving very little. Set too high - then you may be giving the machine too much work to do so the tines bounce over the top of the soil rather than digging in. For a medium powered machine the tines should only be about 50 - 60 mm below the depth skid, the ground being broken up to a greater depth with each pass. So to get 200mm of worked depth you may need 3 to 4 passes. Remember rotavators are not spading machines and you need patience and time to get a good result.
Hope this helps.

The tines weren't working properly, Jewsons came out and got it going - working great.

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back