Rotovator Magneto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given an ancient rotovator - no identifying markson it whatsoever. It's a 4 stroke and it all seems in good condition, not seized etc, but there is no spark and a resistance test on the magneto the shows it is kaput, although it does seem to throw some voltage out 3 or 4 volts maybe. I have no clue of the magneto type - is it okay to just bang any old magneto that fits on there from e.g. a lawnmower?

Sponsored Links
We’ll need pictures of what you have, I’m afraid......I’d guess you are dealing with a flywheel with contact breaker points underneath?
John

We’ll need pictures of what you have, I’m afraid......I’d guess you are dealing with a flywheel with contact breaker points underneath?
John
Hi John. Yes, that is correct. Here is a picture of the magneto itself - the exposed wire I pulled out of the flywheel. I'm getting 2.62 reading on the earth wire, zero on the body.
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-29 at 11.37.23_89b9434d.jpg

At a guess, I'd say that was an early Briggs and Stratton ignition coil, though Villiers did use a similar item at one time.
If the machine has contact breaker points then it is these that sets the timing - they are opened and closed by the cam underneath the flywheel.
I'd think grafting on a modern igniter (which is solid state) would be pretty difficult to get the timing right - but of course I've never tried it!
At least you would need an igniter that matches the flywheel diameter.
I think a good way forward would be to try to replace that coil like for like if you can.
There are probably a few vintage machinery dealers about.
A few more pics of the motor may help us with the identification - and for sure this is an interesting project!
John :)

Sponsored Links
For sure, that’s an early Briggs horizontal crankshaft engine....many applications, including the Baromix mini mixer.
John
I’ll edit, it’s for around a 2hp engine, seen one on eBay for around £17 I think.
J.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A new one on me......useful bit of kit!
It doesn't do away with the coil though, but fb may be interested in that.

A new one on me......useful bit of kit!
It doesn't do away with the coil though, but fb may be interested in that.
They do rely on the old coil, you can remove the points or just cut the wire to them . Iirc they originated inAustralia
and came in plastic, blue or green to suit different engines, even supposed to have some sort of built in advance but I may have dreamed that one. They were so useful to get rid of the points on villiers engines fitted to machinery that wasnt used that often to guarantee a first time start

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I think i will see if I can remove the flywheel and see what condition it is underneath before I decide what to do. That no doubt will be a task in itself. There comes a point where, if it's not a hobby, you are throwing good money after bad.

Is this the one?
It looks similar but without a part number it's stab in the dark. Might be worth offered a tenner perhaps. Not sure how the seller reckons it's in good condition - there's no mention of any resistance testing. :unsure:

I have located the engine as part number 80302. Here is the parts diagram on the Briggs & Stratton website. I appear to need part 298502 (points and condenser) engine? Not the part 389593/591420. 50 quid new :eek:

Remove the flywheel first... there’s a good chance you won’t need new points.
Undo the flywheel nut, but don’t remove it. With a couple of wedges under the flywheel against the solid engine block, a sharp tap with a jammer on the flywheel nut should break it free from the tapered crankshaft.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back