Rotted base on wooden cabin, HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i have an existing wooden cabin measuring 5mx5m , i have it 6 yrs . It is used as a bedroom , leisure room for my son , we noticed while moving furniture that the back 2 corners have started to rot , the floor is damp in both of these areas and the outside of the building at these areas have started to rot also , a piece of the cabin actually broke away while we were inspecting the damage and it was covered in wood lice (i think ) . Tried contacting the company we bought it from and no reply from them , The cabin is laid on a concrete foundation , plastic sheet , timber base frame , it is insulated and finished with timber floor. Any advice would be much appreciated ,I am starting to panic ,

Sponsored Links
pictures please
6 years is about right unless you have gutters' treat every 2 years
have all wood clear off any other surface to allow drying

no leaves earth or other material should be touching the wood

Yeah. I doubt you'll have any come-back on the manufacturers.

Somewhere water is getting through the outside skin. Blocked gutters, plants touching it, something underneath bridging the dpm.

Find that, fix it, then fix the damage.

The woodlice are only there because the wood's already knackered, don't waste any time dealing with those - they are a symptom, not the cause.

Sponsored Links
i assume the rot is under the slopes off the roof ??
i would fit gutters
you need to remove all rot as rot acts like a sponge holding high moisture against the wood causing further rot

you need to get the wood off the ground otherwise the rot will continue

The problem is not under the roof although we have arranged for gutters to be fitted during the week , the rot is on the base of the cabin , The problem is how do we get the cabin raised so we can remove the rotted wood ?

yes i realise the rot is on the base
as the water falls off the roof and bounces off the concrete and wets the wood around 3 to 6 " up it keeps it wet
you need to apply treatment every other year to keep the timbers waterproof if not decay will happen

The problem is how do we get the cabin raised so we can remove the rotted wood ?

I assume that total dismantlement is not what you wish to do.
The other approach is insitu replacement. Whilist it's not totally impossible to replace a whole floor in one go it will be better to do it in sections.
Ideally you will need tojack up the whole cabin and support it on bricks or blocks. For this process you could use car jacks or simple levers to lift the cabin. Then starting with a couple of bearers at one end cut the floor away . A reciprocating saw will be useful here to cut any nails that are holding the floor and sides together.
With the end floor section cut away the end of the cabin will be in effect floating in air. You can now repair that section, replacing any rotten timber and fixing on new joists. Here I would go for a tanilised or protimized timber and fixed with screws and brackets. This can then be properly blocked up to the correct height off the ground and will support the cabin whilist you attack another section of flooring repeating the process. Once all the floor joists are done then fit the floor boards.
It won't be a five minute job I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back