Rotted post mock tudor house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post - Our mock tudor house has two wooden posts set on knee-high bricks. One on the left corner of the porch, the other on the right of the house at the corner (of the bedroom above, the ground floor bay window is not attached to it). The right hand corner one is in a brick base with next doors post next to it (both sit in the gap between the bay windows and may support the corner of the bedrooms). Both are rotting and a crack has appeared in the bedroom wall that joins next door.
So does anyone know what these posts are called (I assume they are made of oak and painted black), where you can get them to replace it and whether railway sleepers could be used. I am unsure if it is load bearing. The posts sit on the boundary line and will have to be replaced together. The bedroom above comes out over the bay window and the post could be supporting the corner of the bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Some pics would be very helpful, but from your description, I'd assume that the corner post is supporting the corner of the bedroom above.
You should get a builder to have a look as soon as possible. It may well need supporting with a couple of acro props until such time as the post can be replaced.

I'd forget the sleepers as they are :

a) likely to be wrong shape - rectangular imstead of square
b) treated with preservatives that would leave nasty stains on anyone brushing against them
c) too short (?)

Yes, I was thinking we ought to put support there until we sort it. - The crack has been there a long time, it looks as if the rain water has come down house (leaking hopper) and down the post to rot the posts. My neighbour doesn't have a crack but the previous owner was a builder and he decorated etc before selling so it may just have been plastered.

I don't suppose any one can hazzard a guess at cost of replacing?

Sponsored Links
Some pics would be very helpful, but from your description, I'd assume that the corner post is supporting the corner of the bedroom above.
You should get a builder to have a look as soon as possible. It may well need supporting with a couple of acro props until such time as the post can be replaced.
#

Ok had a bit of troule uploading these - sorry they are sideways but you can see that the posts support the corner of the bedroom above the bay windown. We are not sure what they are called or where to get them from

To be honest, I'd have thought the bedroom above is adequately supported by the bays and the joist coming out from between the houses (just move the bed against the other side of the room to be safe ;) ;)) . Does the upright timber belong to you or your neighbour, or is this a shared responsibility? Just asking as it looks to be exactly halfway between the properties.

There are two post togehter on the same brick base half of which is on my property the other on next dorrs. One post is mine the other my neighbours and both are rotting.

To be honest, I'd have thought the bedroom above is adequately supported by the bays and the joist coming out from between the houses (just move the bed against the other side of the room to be safe ;) ;)) . Does the upright timber belong to you or your neighbour, or is this a shared responsibility? Just asking as it looks to be exactly halfway between the properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back