Rotted rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I went to see a property the other day which we're considering buying at auction. It's a couple of hundred years old & grade 2* listed. My main concern is the roof. There seems to be a mix of very old & newer timber. Lots of the rafters have the same problem: the lower third of the rafter is totally decayed & comes away easily into powder. The exterior of the decayed portion has a honeycombe texture & the whole rafter is a slightly odd dark brown colour.

My general understanding is that any decay needs moisture, but the strange thing is I can't see any indication of any moisture in the roof space and it looks sound from the outside - no missing slates or sagging areas. So what would have caused the lower portion of the joists to decay? And can I assume that because everything's dry now it'll be fine for the foreseeable future?

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 104
  • honeycomb.jpg
    honeycomb.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 98
  • brown.jpg
    brown.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 111
  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any thoughts? I guess one potential source of moisture would be condensation resulting from the heavy sarking restricting ventilation & blanket insulation on the floor making the void cold - but wouldn't the decay work down from where the timbers touch the sarking in that case?

Sponsored Links
That's not rot it's wood worm/Beatle you can tell by the dryness and bore holes and powder left behind

Looks like it may be woodworm. The second picture, top left if you blow it up you can see what appears to be exit holes.

Well, the guide price for the house is quite very low, so hopefully if we have to spend a fortune on the roof we'll get the money back in increased value. I don't know what "very deep" means though - are we looking at £20k or £200k? It's a large, 3-bed C18 stone house in Cornwall.

I'm still wondering how the decay happened, but perhaps it's a bit academic...

Adam

From what I understand, they usually want roof structures repaired, not replaced, which is obviously more labour intensive.

Costs is a difficult one, as its not a usual rip out and replace job, so ideally you'd need to speak to someone who knows how to handle old roof timberd

they usually want roof structures repaired
Something possibly in my favour is that the decay seems to be in relatively new timber - so perhaps I'd get away with replacing that

ideally you'd need to speak to someone who knows how to handle old roof timbers
I'm intending to try and get a builder (ideally experienced in "heritage" properties!) to look round with me, but because it's an auction property the timing is so tight so it just might not happen :/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back