Rotten and mouldy shed floor - can it be repaired?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I moved into my house last year, and only realised a few weeks ago when I started sorting the shed and back garden out, that the previous owners had allowed part of the shed floor to rot and become covered in white mould, and had just hidden it under an MDF panel! I have attached a photo for perusal:

PXL_20230330_162358305.jpg

The main question I have is - is it saveable, and if so, by me (an average DIYer) or a professional? I have gotten some quotes for knocking it down and disposing of the whole shed, and the best price I got was £250, which I didn't feel was too bad. However I would prefer to be able to keep it as the rest of the shed is in decent condition.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Can we have a pic of the outside showing the rest of the shed.
Sheds tend to be built onto the floor so the side and end panels will be screwed or nailed onto that rotten corner. If you cut it out you will have nothing to support the side and end. I suspect it has not been raised off the ground sufficiently to allow ventilation underneath.
If you can, I would dismantle, create a new floor section or at least cut out the rot, and replace it before reassembling. By the look of the internal timbers it will have loads of life left in it.

Can we have a pic of the outside showing the rest of the shed.
Sheds tend to be built onto the floor so the side and end panels will be screwed or nailed onto that rotten corner. If you cut it out you will have nothing to support the side and end. I suspect it has not been raised off the ground sufficiently to allow ventilation underneath.
If you can, I would dismantle, create a new floor section or at least cut out the rot, and replace it before reassembling. By the look of the internal timbers it will have loads of life left in it.
Thanks very much for your response. I'll take more photos tomorrow (Tues) and post them on here then. I was afraid that someone would say about completely dismantling and re-doing the floor. Feels like it might be out of my powers to do all that, both skills and tools-wise! Who would I contact that could potentially do that? A handyman or builder for example?

general comments
old salts comments are spot on
the hope is the damage is only to the boards as the shown timbers seem ok the hope will be the timbers below are virtually undamaged and elevation off the ground onto bricks /slabs/other spacing material will solve the damp let it dry out and repair the damage but iff on the ground timbers are damaged then simple lifting may not be possible

Sponsored Links
Handyman should be able to tackle that. Just find out the cost first, I suspect it will be about the same as having it carted off.

Thank you both for your comments. I've attached photos of the outside of the shed - it's in generally good condition (the second photo is the outside of the corner that is rotting).

Sounds like contacting some handymen will be the way to go as I don't have the tools or the time to take the shed apart myself. Could even use it as an opportunity to put a summer house/log cabin in instead I guess!

Appreciate all the time on this.

Attachments

• PXL_20230411_091307401.jpg
    PXL_20230411_091307401.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20230411_091351333.jpg
    PXL_20230411_091351333.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 158
  • PXL_20230411_091422345.jpg
    PXL_20230411_091422345.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 135
  • PXL_20230411_091432458.jpg
    PXL_20230411_091432458.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 137
  • PXL_20230411_091441022.jpg
    PXL_20230411_091441022.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 145
as said the first action is to raise off the ground by at least 12mm preferably32- 40[slab thickness ]but always a non-rotting material
also no gutter means a large amount off water aimed at the point off rot

Maybe think about moving it a meter away from the fence, too. The damaged corner is subject to damp, dark, and dirt. I'm surprised it's still standing.

When you took the first pic, was the door behind you or to your right? I'm guessing right, from the shadow, meaning this is the rear right corner, viewed looking in through the open door - in your external pics that's the one with the wood on the floor?

If you stamp on it, can you put your foot through the floor in that rotted corner? If no, then you might get away with just digging the external levels down, possibly also drilling large ventilation holes around the shed base, under the floor level. If it does collapse, break as much of it out as you can to get a better view of the condition of the supporting timbers. If they're shot, you could do with new ones. Board over the hole with a new piece, after cutting the edges straight and expanding the hole so it's edge is on the centre line of a support timber (your new board and your old one will sit half each on a particular timber)

Make sure air can flow under the floor from one side to the other to keep the timbers and floor dry. guttering into a water butt won't hurt either

Last edited:
That should dismantle okay. You will need new roofing felt and some supports to raise it off the ground. I would use fence posts laid at 90 degrees to the floor joists. You may need to replace the existing joists and floor. Its probably a couple of days work but the existing structure looks as though it is worth saving.

That should dismantle okay. You will need new roofing felt and some supports to raise it off the ground. I would use fence posts laid at 90 degrees to the floor joists. You may need to replace the existing joists and floor. Its probably a couple of days work but the existing structure looks as though it is worth saving.
If he's feeling frabjous he could use concrete posts instead for longevity. Harder to slide into place but worth the effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back