Rotten joists and studs holding up roof

no they wouldn't "be better". the 6 x 2's are correct.
the Acrows have already been screwed to the 6 x 2's.

the only user name on here to mention house "collapse" is the OP.

most DIY'ers hire their Acrows not buy them - some hire shops let out various lenth an section steel lintels as well

Sponsored Links
Yes they would. There would be a single 6” surface pressing against the ceiling rather than 2 x 2” surfaces.

I mentioned collapse to the OP as a joke, same as he mentioned it as a joke.

wrong thats now a timber lintel an it has far more strength on edge than flat. - basic timber framing where
on edge pinned 6 x 2 lintels or even 4 x 2's are used over most openings .you'd lose your job if you laid them flat.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice and interesting discussion about which side the lintel should be on. I can see it would have more strength orientated like a joist but worry it could flip over. As a diyer I'm of course not in a position to know.

Re hiring props - mine cost £20 each. To hire would be over a tenner for a week and that would pressure me. I work slowly (as you can see).

I moved the props around so that the second large prop picks up another joist. I've since realised that they were previously located directly over a jiffy hanger so I might have made it worse. I think I need to make up another pair of 6x2 as the current one isn't long enough when positioned like they are now.8-(

I decided to open up the rest of that wall (its on the left in the "joist location" pic) and as well as more plasterboard gone I took off the sill. I'm bloody glad I did that as it exposed yet more water damage/rot. Everything is now bone dry but it clearly wasn't before I fixed the leak.

I also removed some cladding externally.

The problem I've now got is what to do about the timber on the right as the rot goes right up to the line I've drawn there. I suppose in an ideal world I'd remove the window and then remove and refit everything below the wall plate? I can see the window only has two screws each side but I've never removed a pane before to get to some of those screws and also in winter can see it as a lot of work refitting and levelling. Interesting to see no silicon seems to have been used internally.

I don't know how bad it would be to remove the sill support under the window (its a piece 4x2 that is hardly supported by anything despite appearances) and then cut the right hand timber just under the window. Its about 80-90% of its width there as solid wood and of course it is nailed into the brick wall along its length. I would then fix a new length of 4x2 under it but it wouldn't be a perfect butt joiunt due to 10-15% missing (rotten stuff scraped away).

If I tried to cut that right hand upright timber where it is good at the line, I'm not sure how I would cut it nor if I could get a good fitting timber underneath to support it.

I'm also thinking to replace the window support and replace with a pair of 4x2 on end (losing the middle upright) since one advantage of having to build all this up again, is I was planning to put a geberit concealed frame, space is very tight and putting it inside this stud wall would be ideal.

Apologies for writing so much and thanks for reading.

Attachments

• prop_new_position.jpg
    prop_new_position.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 85
  • sill_removed_IMAG0168_1.jpg
    sill_removed_IMAG0168_1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 67
  • joist_locations_IMG_20180830_185311.jpg
    joist_locations_IMG_20180830_185311.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 62
  • right_timber_rottenIMAG0171_1.jpg
    right_timber_rottenIMAG0171_1.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG0174_1.jpg
    IMAG0174_1.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back