Rotten joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lounge makeover has turned into a large job! My son removed the floorboards to enale us to fit insulation, new boards and all ready for a wood floor.
Now the floorboards are removed, we can see that all the joist ends at the outer wall are rotten, well disintergrated and how the floor was holding up I dont know. The house is an 1880 terraced granite cottage, with granite foundations, no cavity and not sure if there is any dpc, does not look like it.
The joists on the outer edge were resting on granite, sat on a rebate on the foundation. Does that make sense to you? Joists on the rebate and the wall builds up from the outer edge of the foundation. The wall is 6.6 m long and has one square airbrick.
the floor void is all dry and tidy with no smells.
I am going to get the carpenter in, but should I look out for anything he says? I am a female and don't want to be fobbed off and get work done that I don't need.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the question is, but its a simple matter of doubling the joist, or part of the joist, using treated timber and wrapping the ends to prevent damp rot

Ok thanks. The joists did have a damp proof, slate but it's all broken up. The carpenter comes tomorrow, so I will see what he has to say.
Is there anything to put on the rebate to stop it happened again? But I guess joists being replaced every 130 years or so is ok!

I would suggest, when your carpenter repairs/replaces the floor joists, wrap the ends in dpc.
As an extra measure give the ends a coat of Deep Kill, timber preservative paste.

Sponsored Links
The carpenter has been round and suggested that I have a concrete slab. I did think of that on saturday, but not very enviromentally friendly, but no more rotten joists for me.

Will also work out cheaper for me as my son, and me will be clearing the site.

The carpenter has been round and suggested that I have a concrete slab.

LOL .. are you sure he was a carpenter?

How is removing all of the timber floor, importing hardcore, concrete, screed etc going to be cheaper and even more practical than just repairing the existing joists and leaving the rest of the floor in-situ?

He's a carpenter by trade, but does a bit of building work too.
The floorboards are already removed and all stacked up in the garden for another project just have all wobbley joists left.
To keep my costs down the carpenter/builder is happy to come and direct me and my son as to what to do. And he will be at the house for when the concrete is poured.
I will price up wood with the local merchant by concrete is £50 a ton and recycled hardcore is £18 a ton. And I need 6 ton of each.

I will price up wood with the local merchant by concrete is £50 a ton and recycled hardcore is £18 a ton. And I need 6 ton of each.

You also need dpm, soft sand and insulation, don't forget to add those in as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back