Rotten toilet floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a rotten floorboard next to the toilet.
It seems as if the joist on the left is lower than the right one.There also seems as if a chuck of cement has come away from the cylindrical tube at the back. The joists are Sound. Is this a complicated job to fit a floor board?

Attachments

• DSC_0955.JPG
    DSC_0955.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Fitting a replacement floorboard isn't too difficult (it just requires some 2 x 2in or 44 x 44mm CLS cut to make up cleats to hold it), but you need to investigate and cure any leak which may have caused the rot in the first place, and I think you need to investigate why the joist is lower (joists should be more or less level). How much lower is it? Are there any signs of rot in the joist, particularly at the end? Is the joist pocketed into a masonry wall at the end?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell I the joists are fitted to the wall. One joist is lower but by not much at all that I hardly noticed it. l'm checking to see if the leak comes from the pipe because of the green marks
Getting a chippie in to see how much it will cost.
Thanks for your response though

OP,
You have a long 90* pan connector - does it make a solid connection with the soil pipe just below the floor - no smells or leaks.?
Where exactly did the chunk of cement break off from - near the soil pipe connection?

Replace the existing WC supply isolating valve (probably the cause of your leak), and also replace the flex connector with a longer flex connector that will reach directly from the new isolating valve to the tail of the cistern fill valve - ditch the plastic.
Use a new isolator with a handle.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Solid connection and no leaks or smell I flushed the toilet several times to see if there was any water around the pan connector and the pipe.
The chunk of cement was around the base of the connector. There is still a chunk attached to the other side.
I can't understand the rest of what you have as I'm clueless about plumbing. lm getting a chippie in to look at the floor boards and now getting a local plumber to advise on the rest but thanks for replying and I'll pass this info on to the plumber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back