Rough cost idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ball park figures for boarding out, (walls, floor ceiling), of an 88 sq metre loft in Ipswich? It's close to the leisure part of the docks with good, easy access and a large drive so parking wouldn't be a problem for 2-3 medium vehicles.

Cost would need to include supply and fit of a standard staircase, 4-6 Velux style windows, (3 each side of the pitched roof), and a basic electricity supply of. say 12 double switched sockets and 6 lighting points. Oh and extend the current hard-wired smoke alarm system. Foundations were built deep enough, (2016), for a second storey to be added at a later date but the person is thinking of just converting the loft. Headroom is approximately 9 foot and we believe joists fitted were suitable for an additional floor to be laid.

I know it's vague, but just looking for a ball park figure. For a stupid example; will it cost between £15,000 - £40,000 or £50,000 - £150,000 or above?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm taking Conny at his word the floor is adequate (snort) and there are no finishes so no flooring or PB etc.
The latest Part L reg's are a 'mare in terms of size, cost and installation. Long screws are costing a quid each these days. Fitting the PIR on any job costs thousands now.

I've just completed my first catch-up extension since the 2022 Part L changes. Prior to the change, I could furnish a 4m x 4m, 100mm cavity extension with cavity insulation (Dritherm) at a cost of £132. The same cavity size today costs £1000 to furnish using Unilin PIR boards.

1686852173471.png

Hoping to get a copy of the original plans at the weekend, (the bungalow was totally rebuilt in 2018 with 8 metre pilings and a massive thick raft foundation), so will be able to check joist dimensions etc

What should the dimensions be for a footprint of 31' x 24', with a 'fairly central support wall running through the 31' length? So you will have roughly, a 12' span between the outer wall and the central support wall. Should they be around 6" x 3", 7" x 2", etc and what would the span be between centres ?

@freddiemercurystwin, there are no old boards up there at the moment. It is a completely bare loft area with massively thick insulation, (600mm mineral rockwool seems to come to mind from the original plans when I saw them).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back