Rough idea of cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
We have a uPVC front door with a windows about 1ft x 2ft in the middle of it. I noticed the other day that the window appears to have slipped about 1cm downwards and this has made the seal aroud the window break.

Anyway, I had someone come and look at it today and have been told that the whole panel needs to be replaced as it is a sealed unit and will cost about £240 for the new panel and to have it fitted.

I was just wondering if this price seems about right?

Thanks

cpt_damage.

Please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
If it’s just the glazing bead that’s gone, you don’t need a new glass unit; the price you’ve been quoted for a glass unit of that size also strikes me as opportunism so get some alternative quotes! 1cm seems a lot for the glass unit to move so I wonder if something else has gone wrong!

damage said:
Anyway, I had someone come and look at it today and have been told that the whole panel needs to be replaced as it is a sealed unit and will cost about £240 for the new panel and to have it fitted.
A bit pricey for an 1 hr job (having said that, I've not seen the door), the glass unit would cost approximately no more than £30 - £50.

What area are you from, I know a few good one in my area.

if the glass unit is part of the panel insert then yes the whole door panel will have to be replaced. £250. sounds quite a lot though. is the glass panel decorative?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for the replys. The glass is not decorative, just normal double glazing glass.

Its the most bizzar thing to happen though as the glass on the side of the door facing outside has dropped about 1cm but on the inside the glass is perfectly inplace and has not dropped, go figure!

We are looking to replace the the panel with a new that does not have any windows in it, we are just going to have a door knocker and the house numbers attached to it.

Apparently because the panel we want has a woodgrain effect it will cost more :( I phones around a few places today and was told the price of my original quote was about right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back