Rough price to put in double socket, spurred off another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, wanting to wall mount a TV, and will need a double socket put in behind it.

I'm going to get some quotes from local spark's, and just wondering what peoples' opinions are on what would be a fair price to install a double socket into a drylined (dot and dab) wall? There is another socket which can be spurred off aprox 6ft away on the same wall.

Would do it myself, most difficult part will be rishing the cable through, but there are so many regs around this now I'm not sure if it's legal now. Is a spur off another socket classed as notifiable work etc? Is a minor works cert needed?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Would do it myself, most difficult part will be rishing the cable through, but there are so many regs around this now I'm not sure if it's legal now. Is a spur off another socket classed as notifiable work etc? Is a minor works cert needed?
Extending an existing socket is not notifiable work. Strictly speaking, any electrical work should result in an EIC or minor works cert. There's no reason why a DIYer can't complete such a certificate, but few would have the equipment (and/or knowledge) to undertake the testing which is theoretically required after any electrical work.

If the socket from which you intend to spur is part of a ring circuit, you would have to confirm that the socket in question is actually part of the ring (and not already a spur), since 'spurs from spurs' are not allowed. The buried cable would have to be routed in permitted 'safe zones' (primarily, vertically or horizontally aligned with visible sockets or other accessories). Your new circuit would be required to be RCD protected - does the circuit from which you intend to spur already have RCD protection?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for replying.

The house was newly built in 2015, and I (as the only homeowner) haven't done any spurring off this socket, so I would think I'm safe to assume it's part of the ring. I would still check though, don't worry. Regarding RCD, yes, the whole house is covered.

Without having to chop up the plasterboard and rewallpaper, how would one get a t&e from existing socket 1 on attached diagram to new socket 2 whilst keeping to safe zones? Even the sparky I spoke to on the phone said he would have to try and fish the cable through the dot and dab with rods?

1.jpg

The house was newly built in 2015, and I (as the only homeowner) haven't done any spurring off this socket, so I would think I'm safe to assume it's part of the ring. I would still check though, don't worry. Regarding RCD, yes, the whole house is covered.
Fair enough.
Without having to chop up the plasterboard and rewallpaper, how would one get a t&e from existing socket 1 on attached diagram to new socket 2 whilst keeping to safe zones? Even the sparky I spoke to on the phone said he would have to try and fish the cable through the dot and dab with rods?
Yep, something like that. The cable would have to either go horizontally from socket 1 and then turn a right angle and go vertically upwards in line with socket 2, or vertically up from socket 1 and then horizontally to socket 2. In either case, it will be difficult to be certain that the cable remains within those zones throughout it's length!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The cable would have to either go horizontally from socket 1 and then turn a right angle and go vertically upwards in line with socket 2, or vertically up from socket 1 and then horizontally to socket 2.
Or, if the floor construction permits it, down from #1, along under the floor, up to #2. Although if it does permit it then you almost certainly wouldn't need "down from #1", just come off the cable already under the floor. Could even extend the ring rather than spur.

Without having to chop up the plasterboard and rewallpaper, how would one get a t&e from existing socket 1 on attached diagram to new socket 2 whilst keeping to safe zones?
Mmm. Bad news coming, you have.

Unless the electrician has access vertically above or below (in both planes) the new location, and has a 2-2.5m drill bit, and space to use it, then cutting holes will be the only alternative. There will be noggins, or noggins and studs, in the route - good news is that running through them helps keep the cable in the safe zone, bad news is that you can't cut a path through them without damaging the plasterboard.

Down from above ???
Yes, that's another possibility - but I'm not sure that (unless there was easy access to the space above the ceiling) that would offer any advantage over routes already discussed. In particular, to go 'up' from both sockets and then use the safe zone near the ceiling as a means of getting from one to t'other would probably be at least as difficult as routes already discussed.

Kind Regards, John

Down from #1 + up to #2 Ξ up from #1 + down to#2.

My comments re cables under the floor might apply to under the floor of the room above.

But from above, how do you drill down through the noggin(s)?

Whichever way you prefer to pass cables through noggins behind plasterboard.

It's probably moot because the OP said it was dot and dab.

Without any damage to plasterboard and decorative surface finishes.
Probably not and I think the OP's drawing is putting the socket further up the wall than it really would be.

Sometimes, though you can see down behind the plasterboard from upstairs, so, as I said - may be lucky and find no noggins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back