Roughcast Chips.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At least I think thats what they are called!

Hi everyone again.

Where can you buy the bags of broken up shell and stuff that is used for roughcasting?

I went to the builders merchant today but all they sold was pebbles for pebbledashing and I cant stand the look of pebbledash.

Im assuming places like b and q dont sell the stuff? (ive looked on website but cant see anything)

Can anyone help? Or am I just being a donut?

And thanks alot for your time guys!

Big lou. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks alot roughcaster.

Just what i was looking for.

Is there anything you dont know!! :D

Sponsored Links
Barra Shell is very light to roughcast with, and also extremely sharp. If it was a very windy day up on a scaffold, we used to empty a bag or two, into a wheelbarrow, and flick loads of water on them to make them "heavier". As i said, it also has very sharp edges, and if you fall against it when it's on the wall, (especially kids), it can cut you badly. It looks nice when it's on, (normally with a white Snowcrete background), but i prefer Durite chips, (Canterbury),, each to their own.

-As i said, it also has very sharp edges, and if you fall against it when it's on the wall, (especially kids), it can cut you badly.
In the original Roald Dahl's tales of the unexpected on ITV, there was a story which ended with a bloke having to go round a pitch black maze (think he was the new manager of a blind people's home who was getting ready to close it down, hence why the inmates decided to make him "blind" in the pitch black to help him empathise), which culminated in him walking through a section which had walls of razor blades. When he got through this, the lights were turned on, to help him meet ang greet a pack of starved dogs!

I wish to emulate this wall of razorblades. Where can I get hold of several hundred thousand cheaply, and how can I roughcast them quickly and easily?

I'm not sure Dext, but i think there might be an old Royal Navy Type 22 Frigate going to the breakers yard very soon. I heard a certain Mr. Gillette,, a shaving razor/razor blade manufacturer, has plans for this old vessel. I believe you can order razor blades from him, in quanties from 1 to 1 million at a very reasonable cost. For further details, please refer to their website, or text,,, Blades@Gillette 24513. To roughcast with them,, do in the usual way,, chuck 'em on with a harling trowel. Put polythene down to catch as many as you can to re-use/save waste.

Blades@Gillette 24513. To roughcast with them,, do in the usual way,, chuck 'em on with a harling trowel. Put polythene down to catch as many as you can to re-use/save waste.
Top tips indeed! ;) ;) Thanks rc

"Cutting Edge" technology Eh! RC :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

"Cutting Edge",,,, absolutely Roy,,,, i was speaking to a friend of mine last night, about Barra Shell, and why you don't see much of it nowadays,, and he thought it was probably to do with the danger posed by the sharpness of the harling, Health/Safety and all that. It wouldn't be anywhere as lethal though, as Detrous's razor blade roughcast proposal,, :eek: although i think he was joking, :confused: :LOL:. I didn't give too much info away, just in case he wasn't,,, i don't want to be implicated in any dangerous practices. :LOL:

Well thanks for all the usefull posts everyone its all good stuff. :)

I had a feeling that theyd be very very sharp if you fell against them or brushed you hand on them or something, so thanks for that usefull health and safety advise ;) .

Probably not the best thing to have when theres young children around.

Thanks R/C and everyone who contributed.

rc, you complete ba****rd, you never told me not to use onefill nor that I should take care when polishing it up.

Call yourself a pro :confused: You're 'aving a laff :mad:

rc, you complete ba****rd, you never told me not to use onefill nor that I should take care when polishing it up.

Call yourself a pro :confused: You're 'aving a laff :mad:

Well Dext,, erm,,, yeh but, no but, :confused: yeh, um razor blade roughcast??? polishing it up and that??? ,,,,, well don't,, can't say more than that mate,, ya know, cut fingers an all that. :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back