round air vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , my house is going to get exterior insulation ( rock wool ) & pebble dashed over the insulation , i have a vent at the back of the house & was wondering if i can let them cover this , the vent is above floor level & comes into the back of my kitchen units ,
so i don't know the purpose of it ,
the house was a steel house originally , & breeze blocked & pebble dashed over 30 years ago

Sponsored Links
here is a picture of the vent

Attachments

• 20161102_204408.jpg
    20161102_204408.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 86
Probably for an appliance, stove inlet, dryer outlet etc. Cover itover by all means but ensure that your house's ventilation strategy, in terms of getting rid of the moisture laden air you and yours generate through daily activities such as cooking, washing and breathing, is taken care of

If you're improving the air tightness of your home and reducing draughts you might want to look at PIV, MEV or MVHR. At the very least ensure that window trickle vents are fitted and your bathrooms have appropriate extractors

Check first it is not ventilation providing combustion air for an open flued gas appliance.

Sponsored Links
it doesn't even ventilate the kitchen as it comes through behind kitchen units about 6" from floor & is blocked by the back of the units , so i think i'll just get it covered .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back