Rounded corners on plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I achieve rounded corners on plasterboard which will be skimmed over and then painted?
I don't like the modern straight edge beading and would rather have a finish on the corners like the victorians use to (ie rounded)
Thanks
Jim

Sponsored Links
You can get a rounded bead.

These can be made from metal, plastic or reinforced paper with varying radii.

How big a radius do you want, as you may have to think about the studwork fouling it, or putting in extra studs

Also think about how your skirting will looked mitered around it. I have seen on many victorian properties where there is an angle for a foot or so up from the floor and down from the ceiling which is blended into a curve, this gives you a corner for the skirting and coving.

Also think about how your skirting will looked mitered around it. I have seen on many victorian properties where there is an angle for a foot or so up from the floor and down from the ceiling which is blended into a curve, this gives you a corner for the skirting and coving.

Good point - Called 'bird's beak' in my day - any other names out there?

Sponsored Links
I remember we all spoke about this a couple of years ago Mic'. As i said at the time, we used to float coat the walls with sand, cement and lime, then form the bullnose/s on the corners, down to skirting height the following day using a wooden float and water, leaving the last 3 or 4 inches or so, of corner square, (into bird beak), for the skirting to fixed to. The floated walls were then left to set for a day or two, then finished with 3,, yes 3 coats of Siraphite plaster, a few days later.

Great stuff, thanks everyone for your input.
Where can you buy the rounded bead from, its not something I've ever seen?
How does the beading work with regard to painting it, do you have your top coat finished flush with the bead and then just paint over the metal/plastic (with the relevant primer of course) or do you need to paper over it?

Great stuff, thanks everyone for your input.
Where can you buy the rounded bead from, its not something I've ever seen?
How does the beading work with regard to painting it, do you have your top coat finished flush with the bead and then just paint over the metal/plastic (with the relevant primer of course) or do you need to paper over it?
a lot of places just sell by the box and I'm sure yo u don't need 50.
Try your local merchant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back