router and access point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I need to extend my wireless network a bit, I have no connection outside (I do quite a bit of work in my caravan for quite!!)
I have a sky wireless router, but it just wont keep a stable signal that far through 2 walls.

I also have a negear wireless acess point, curently doing nothing, am I right in thinking that if I connect the access point to the router via a cable, I can then put this where I can get a reception, and still be able to access my network/internet etc.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought sitting inside a tin box will not help with the signal strength

I also have a netgear wireless access point, currently doing nothing, am I right in thinking that if I connect the access point to the router via a cable, I can then put this where I can get a reception, and still be able to access my network/internet etc.

Try it! But, as Breezer said, putting a computer inside a tin box is not really very good for wireless networking.
If the computer networking aerial is inline through a plastic window with the Netgear Access point it may work.

Another idea would be to get a Netgear wireless adaptor which comes with a length of USB connecting cable and attach it, with the Velcro that come with it, to the outside of the caravan, and feed the USB cable in through a window.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=98046&doy=29m6
This may get a signal direct with your Sky connection, if not use the Netgear Access Point.
dave

Another way is to have an external aerial fitted outside the caravan...Al.

Sponsored Links
hmm, Imight try the usb dongle idea, I hae one floating around somewhere, I know the van wont be ideal (its aluminium and GRP, not tin!!!) but there are also 2 brick walls between me and the router, my origional idea was to put to access point in an outhouse, which is about 3 feet from the side of the caravan.

As this is about routers and signal strength, I was wondering what sort of ranges one can expect with external antenna?
would say 100m+ in a straight line be out of the question?
without boosting id probably say yes but are there booster amps available that are legal?

Back