Router, bench and saw advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of small projects ahead of me and i'm wanting to invest in some equipment. Historically i've borrowed my bother's router but its not great, and it's a pain not having it here when needed.

My first project is another built-in bookshelf (see below). As you can see from the pictures, I tend to router channels to make it more sturdy, and to stop books slipping when stored on their side. I'm a total beginner but theses have proved reasonably successful. This time I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to do the channels, that doesn't involve a straight edge (spirit level) and clamps?

My next project will be a set of fitted draws/cabinet either side of our front door. I don't know whether to buy Ikea draws and cut them to fit, or make my own from scratch?

When it comes to ripping wood I tend to use a router with a straightedge (very slow), or a jigsaw. I don't own a circular saw but have again borrowed one for this purpose in the past.

So my questions are:

1. Is some sort of working table/bench a good investment, what would be versatile?
2. What tool(s) would people recommend

I have a small workshop to store tools in but no enough space to leave something set up all the time. I appreciate this might be an oxymoron but I would like something decent but as cheap as possible.

Any advice to help me along the way would be much appreciated.

936951CF-9960-4B24-B7CB-47C96932CAD1.JPG
IMG_8133.JPG
IMG_8151.JPG

Sponsored Links
As a diyer I researched all the expensive woodworkers benches, and found that flexibility was more important in practice. Get your panels cut down by the supplier so you can trim to size “on site”. A pair of trestles (or work benches) with a panel on top, are more flexible than a static wood working bench. A wide range of good quality clamps will cover most situations when used with a circular saw and router. Get a commercial grade vacuum (Nilfisk do a pretty cheap one) with hepa filter, it means you can work in the room for those tweaks and changes that are needed, and also prevent the garage being covered in dust. Use cordless tools wherever possible, including trim routers. They make a huge difference. I invested in the makita platform, the quality of their tools is in different league, but bosch, dewalt and milwaukee all have good ranges.

Be prepared to spend time inventing and building jigs for accuracy and repeatability.

If the pictures are of your work you clearly do have good skills.

Blup

@blup

Sounds like I'm on a similar path to you, so appreciate your thoughts. I bought a cheap Bosch drill/driver a few years back as my beloved Hitachi died, it was only a stop-gap but now I've bought a Bosch hedge trimmer as it was cheap and compatible with the batteries and charger. If I'm honest, i'm not super impressed with either, so feel I'm now between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to waste the batteries I have, but I'm not keen on additional Bosch equipment (green budget range).

I could cut my losses and start with a new brand, that being said I'm not someone who does this for a living (would like too though) so the tools I have only get an occasional run-out.

I've been reading online and it would seem a track saw is probably my best bet as they are better value, more versatile and take up little storage space. So really it's now down to either a new handheld router or a bench. I've never really watched any tutorials on using either, perhaps that's where I've been going wrong as this might help me to make a decision?

Interesting point on the vacuum, I have an old Henry, I wonder if that would work for the smaller jobs? When routering MDF in a kids bedroom, I would still feel more comfortable doing this outside as it produces insane amounts of dust.

Appreciate your positive comments on my work as it is mine. I basically built a bookcase for my wife's cookbooks about ten years ago in the kitchen. I didn't want crappy brackets and shelves on the wall that would bow, and my wife wanted some books that could be turned on their side to display (see below), it worked out really well. Now everyone wants one in their room :)

IMG_5809.JPG

My first home made 'Bench' was a 1.5mtr length of secondhand kitchen worktop with a piece of 3x2 screwed underneath for additional strength. Supported at one end by a cheapo workmate (Typically https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-TB01-Portable-Workbench-100/dp/B000LFVGW0/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=workmate+benches&qid=1698658995&sr=8-10&th=1) at one end and an office underdesk cupboard at the other.
I've used that for 10 years.
Latterly I've added, not replaced, a MFT style workbench - I suggest that will be most useful for you.
Do look at Peter Millards Utoob presentations for suggestions on how to make the best use.

Router. I much prefer the Triton MOF over any other (I was brought up on a fixed base router rather than a 'plunge' one); it has a good balance of power against weight. It can work as a "plunge' router, a Fixed base router, has 'micrometer' (screw) adjustment on depth of cut and has the ability to be used in a router table and the depth of cut adjusted through the table.

Don't buy a circular saw - buy a Track Saw instead, much more useful to you.

I am not and have no connection with Peter Millard except a viewer of his channel and have found it interesting, useful (and could be expensive if I bought many of tools he has!).

I note your additional comment about cordless tools - make I'd suggest is Einhell, presently they have a free battery & charger offer on. Guy I work with uses them professionally - reckons they are a good balance between usability and cost.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd invest (I have) £100 in a track/plunge saw. Great for accurate rips and slots.

I'd invest (I have) £100 in a track/plunge saw. Great for accurate rips and slots.
I'm leaning towards one of these TBH. I do use a circular saw, they care the **** out of me! A track saw sounds a better idea!

Now I need to figure out if I go wired or cordless

I'm leaning towards one of these TBH. I do use a circular saw, they care the **** out of me! A track saw sounds a better idea!

Now I need to figure out if I go wired or cordless
Lidl had cheap track saws in last week, under £100

My first home made 'Bench' was a 1.5mtr length of secondhand kitchen worktop with a piece of 3x2 screwed underneath for additional strength. Supported at one end by a cheapo workmate (Typically https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-TB01-Portable-Workbench-100/dp/B000LFVGW0/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=workmate+benches&qid=1698658995&sr=8-10&th=1) at one end and an office underdesk cupboard at the other.
I've used that for 10 years.
Latterly I've added, not replaced, a MFT style workbench - I suggest that will be most useful for you.
Do look at Peter Millards Utoob presentations for suggestions on how to make the best use.

Router. I much prefer the Triton MOF over any other (I was brought up on a fixed base router rather than a 'plunge' one); it has a good balance of power against weight. It can work as a "plunge' router, a Fixed base router, has 'micrometer' (screw) adjustment on depth of cut and has the ability to be used in a router table and the depth of cut adjusted through the table.

Don't buy a circular saw - buy a Track Saw instead, much more useful to you.

I am not and have no connection with Peter Millard except a viewer of his channel and have found it interesting, useful (and could be expensive if I bought many of tools he has!).

I note your additional comment about cordless tools - make I'd suggest is Einhell, presently they have a free battery & charger offer on. Guy I work with uses them professionally - reckons they are a good balance between usability and cost.
WOW, I could and almost did get lost in the channel!!!

So I have a couple of workmates and a sliding roller support. So I was thinking about a table, more for the speed of repeated cuts as it's the marking and setting the fence on every cut that takes the time, especially when using the router for rebates that need a double pass (25mm wide).

I don't want to limit myself with a router table if it's the bad choice. And I don't want to stick with Bosch is the green range is ****. Corldess sounds good but these tools have to spin and work very hard, I wonder how long a battery really will last?

I do have a 110v transformer and extension, so this is an option...

@blup

Sounds like I'm on a similar path to you, so appreciate your thoughts. I bought a cheap Bosch drill/driver a few years back as my beloved Hitachi died, it was only a stop-gap but now I've bought a Bosch hedge trimmer as it was cheap and compatible with the batteries and charger. If I'm honest, i'm not super impressed with either, so feel I'm now between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to waste the batteries I have, but I'm not keen on additional Bosch equipment (green budget range).

I could cut my losses and start with a new brand, that being said I'm not someone who does this for a living (would like too though) so the tools I have only get an occasional run-out.

I've been reading online and it would seem a track saw is probably my best bet as they are better value, more versatile and take up little storage space. So really it's now down to either a new handheld router or a bench. I've never really watched any tutorials on using either, perhaps that's where I've been going wrong as this might help me to make a decision?

Interesting point on the vacuum, I have an old Henry, I wonder if that would work for the smaller jobs? When routering MDF in a kids bedroom, I would still feel more comfortable doing this outside as it produces insane amounts of dust.

Appreciate your positive comments on my work as it is mine. I basically built a bookcase for my wife's cookbooks about ten years ago in the kitchen. I didn't want crappy brackets and shelves on the wall that would bow, and my wife wanted some books that could be turned on their side to display (see below), it worked out really well. Now everyone wants one in their room :)

View attachment 318974
Track saws are popular and effective, people put 8x4 mdf boards on large sheets of rigid insulation and cut them outside, seems like a practical approach. Still use a home built t square of mdf which accepts the edge of the saw blade on the cutting line while automatically lining up the saw base to the straight edge.

Blup

Blup

Lidl had cheap track saws in last week, under £100
took a drive to my local store tonight. None in there so I'm going to have to go another route. Problem is the Mac All-star one that's recommended in the '10 minute workshop' video is no longer in production

FREE DELIVERY
thanks for the link, looks a very reasonable deal. I can't see to find any information on them though...? I guess I worry about getting caught out not being able to get extra track, blades and spares

They majority of track saws use 2-3 differing tracks , my lumberjack uses same as Makita saw but found them for half the Makita price from another matching brand .

Last edited:

FREE DELIVERY
thanks for the link, looks a very reasonable deal. I can't see to find any information on them though...? I guess I worry about getting caught out not being able to get extra track, blades and spares
I've had a quick look around and this comes up
So it does look to be comparable with Makita & Festool tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back