Router, bench and saw advice

I've had a quick look around and this comes up
So it does look to be comparable with Makita & Festool tools.
I would take taht with a pretty hefty pinch of salt. That site just seems to summarise reviews of products by category on Amazon, so isn't really any more trustworthy than what you would see there. Garbage in, garbage out, in other words.

Sponsored Links
I would take taht with a pretty hefty pinch of salt. That site just seems to summarise reviews of products by category on Amazon, so isn't really any more trustworthy than what you would see there. Garbage in, garbage out, in other words.
Reviews are a tricky thing, the motivation can be referral links paying the largest commission or other kick-backs. Even review on YouTube can be fuelled by the same motivation and free gear. I like the 10 Minute Workshop guy, problem is he doesn't have reviews of current entry level plunge saws...

I can agree with that but I (hopefully) discovered that the Excel machine uses a compatible track which I believe is the important thing.

Peter Millard makes comment regarding 'Excel' in the notes attached to this Utoob video

Just had another search ont' web and come up with this
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Einhell-Ex...dAkrl81v-P3XjiP5sAQaAisaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
As it's in Wickes and they also stock Festool the simple answer to me is go to Wickes and ask if you can try the Einhell machine on a Festool track.

My own Tracksaw - bought before I knew a lot about them and on impulse is a Schappach machine - totally incompatible track except with its clones*, supplied with 2x0.7MTR tracks. I found an extra 1.4MTR track in a local tool emporium so I snapped that up, never seen any comparable track anywhere else since.

*Woodster/Woodstar, Grizzly, Wen.

Last edited:
I can agree with that but I (hopefully) discovered that the Excel machine uses a compatible track which I believe is the important thing.
yup, that's handy, I did watch one review online from a chat who had one. He said it was ok but suggested a replacement blade and tracks... I'm trying to figure out what he got as a replacement and what that brings the total package to. I have to rip 25mm MDF so it needs to be decent, if the additional parts increase the price significantly it might be better to buy alternative kit. Tricky one. Appreciate your help though

Sponsored Links
You can normally get an after market compatible router attachment for the tracks too, so you can use them as a guide for the router. I have not tried this yet, but love my track saw!

Can someone sanity check this for me? I've read the track rubber and blade is the biggest flaw in cheaper track saws, so i'm thinking of ordering the following as an immedaite upgrade. I figure I can then purchase longer track in the future if things work out...

Tracksaw: Excel 165mm Plunge saw
Triton Plunge Track Saw Blade 48T
Makita Rubber Splinter Guide

I did look at the £135 Mac Allister 1200w plunge saw yesterday in B&Q but figured the blade would most likely need an immediate upgrade so I would be shelling out £150, as apposed to £100. Considering I also need a router I didn't want to blow all the budget...

I'm not keen on additional Bosch equipment (green budget range).
I lost a lightly used jigsaw trying to saw an approx 7mm diameter twig. I discovered the saw was holding the blade using a piece of plastic. That put me off german tools for life. A budget range (orange coloured) mekita replacement worked like a treat. It had lower power and could saw straight. It's not the brand or price that makes a product good but the design intent.

Last edited:

Peter Millard makes comment regarding 'Excel' in the notes attached to this Utoob video

Just had another search ont' web and come up with this
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Einhell-Ex...dAkrl81v-P3XjiP5sAQaAisaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
As it's in Wickes and they also stock Festool the simple answer to me is go to Wickes and ask if you can try the Einhell machine on a Festool track.

My own Tracksaw - bought before I knew a lot about them and on impulse is a Schappach machine - totally incompatible track except with its clones*, supplied with 2x0.7MTR tracks. I found an extra 1.4MTR track in a local tool emporium so I snapped that up, never seen any comparable track anywhere else since.

*Woodster/Woodstar, Grizzly, Wen.

I have never seen any Festool products in Wickes?

Right or wrong i've gone for the entry level Excel plunge saw. I've decided to get the better blade and suggested Makita rubber to improve the performance. As it's compatible with Festool tracks i'll likely go for these if I want to expand my collection, these will be a constant so i'm more likley to upgrade the saw at some point in the future... now to find a router.

Thanks everyone... Learnt a lot over the last few days!

So 1/4 or 1/2 router, hand held, fixed or plunge, table compatible...? I Thought saws were complicated.

Right or wrong i've gone for the entry level
It's right. Good results comes from patience. Even a non-perfect tool is fine.

I bought an amazon warehouse silverline plunge router at a bargain price some years ago. It did all the jobs I needed doing perfectly fine. If I go slow, I can route out a strait line with it.

I lost a lightly used jigsaw trying to saw an approx 7mm diameter twig. I discovered the saw was holding the blade using a piece of plastic. That put me off german tools for life. A budget range (orange coloured) mekita replacement worked like a treat. It had lower power and could saw straight. It's not the brand or price that make a product good but the design intent.

In the meantime, I am happy to pay a premium for tools manufactured in Germany by German companies with a pedigree of quality- eg Festool.

As a professional, I want a tool that I can use continuously (for at least 8 hours per day).

In the meantime, I am happy to pay a premium for tools manufactured in Germany by German companies with a pedigree of quality- eg Festool.

As a professional, I want a tool that I can use continuously (for at least 8 hours per day).
I would be doing the very same in your position.

Right or wrong i've gone for the entry level Excel plunge saw. I've decided to get the better blade and suggested Makita rubber to improve the performance. As it's compatible with Festool tracks i'll likely go for these if I want to expand my collection, these will be a constant so i'm more likley to upgrade the saw at some point in the future... now to find a router.

Thanks everyone... Learnt a lot over the last few days!

So 1/4 or 1/2 router, hand held, fixed or plunge, table compatible...? I Thought saws were complicated.

1/2" will cover more bases. It may cost more but will probably have a 1/4" collet ( It will be heavier though. I have never seen a 1/2" that didn't allow for plunge cut and perhaps a 8mm collet)

Table compatibility- most 3rd party tables will accept 1/2" routers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back