Router Bit Stuck Newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been building a hinge jig with the new router today. The 1/4 inch bit is stuck in my new makita palm router. What's the best way of releasing it? Dont want to damage anything being a newbie to the router.

Sponsored Links
Undo the collet until it is loose. Wrap a thick cotton rag (old T-shirt) around the cutter several times, hold the rag bundle gently in the jaws of a pair of water pump pliers, or similar, and twist and pull gently. The cutter should come out, probably undamaged. Crude, but effective - and personally I'll wreck a cheap cutter over damaging a collet any day

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If it's like my 'best' router the collet will not release the bit when the 'nut' is loosened with the spanner, turns freely for a couple of turns, then the nut has goes 'Tight' again requiring the spanner to loosen for a second time. Once that is done the bits come out easily.

If it's like my 'best' router the collet will not release the bit when the 'nut' is loosened with the spanner, turns freely for a couple of turns, then the nut has goes 'Tight' again requiring the spanner to loosen for a second time. Once that is done the bits come out easily.
Any money your collet is a dual taper design. This "second tightening" is a feature of dual taper collets when the are loosened. The RT0700 the OP owns (as well as the cordless Makita DRT50 and copycat trim routers such as the Katsu) have a single taper collet (see below for the 1/4in collet), so they just don't tighten up for a second time that way

51nHbwOiEqL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back