Router Bits

I inherited quite a few loose bits with a router I bought what I did was this:

Got a segmented hobby/craft container from home bargains (£2)

Got a short length of copper pipe and some of that rigid'ish foam that computers, electronics etc come in (not polystyrene - see pic below)
Cut the foam into pieces that fit sideways in the sections of the box, and in each piece of foam push and twist the copper pipe into the face of it twice to make two holes - each hole will take a 1/2" cutter and the foam stops them banging together.

Foam-Packaging.jpg

The foam in question is known as Kaizen foam but it's relatively expensive to buy - if you did though you could just punch holes into a sheet of it to stand your bits up vertically in a box.

Sponsored Links
I am wondering what sort of router bits people would recommend. I am starting out with a router and would need some bits. I am wondering people would recommend sets of bits and if so what sets would be people recommend?

Hi James,

I have to agree with other respondants - the set you quoted is unlikley to be long lasting and so poor value.

I'd recomend that you purchase a small selection kit such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-rou...et/73656#product_additional_details_container which has most bits you will need to gain experience but the quality of the Trend kits will last much longer.
Did your router come with Guide bushes? if not then you do need to obtain some; sizes suggested in this discussion seems about right. Do check those will fit your router.

If you do not wish to this suggested kit then as general purpose bits a 1/4inch and a 5/8 or 3/4inch bit will get started, for Chamfering or Rounding Over buy 'guided' bits - they have a roller bearing on the bottom to run along the material you are working.

Do buy good quality known brand - don't bother with cheep stuff from ebay. A router is powerful tool (a 1/2inch more so) and if a bit breaks up in use it can be dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back