Kitchen worktop router bit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have completed all of the installation of our new kitchen and it has gone really well. However, I have to make a 90 deg worktop joint using a jig.
I have all the necessary equipment ( jig, clamps router etc ).
The one problem that I have is the router. It has only capacity for 8mm dia shank router bit and I have been told to use a 50mm length cutter. The longest that I can find at 8mm is 25mm. Can I get away with using this as the plunge depth on the router is 50mm? It seems a bit extreme to have buy a new router. This is the only part of the job that I have no experience of, although I have used the router quite a bit for other projects, and would welcome any help.
Thanks in advance. :D

Sponsored Links
It probably won't be long enough.

When the bit is inserted into the collet to the correct depth the end of the bit will not be flush with your router base so you will have to plunge at least 10mm before it would start cutting.

Add to this the thickness of the jig, around 12mm and you have lost almost half of your 50mm available plunge depth.

Jason

PS DO NOT be tempted to slid ethe bit further out of the collect than it should be, they are usually marked on the shank.

EDIT why not hire a router for a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back