Router in router sled not working as expected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to use a router sled (with a bowl shaped router bit) to plane/thickness some pieces of timber salvaged from some pallets (I saw a cool project I wanted to emulate but without buying a thicknesser). The problem is that I would "plane" (can I call it that?) one side of the board and then flip it over and do the other side. The result was never a perfect (not even approaching usable) board. I've tried to illustrate the results with an exaggerated sketch:

642ul5.png

Any idea why this is happening? It's not like the router sled sags in the middle; in that direction the cross-section is fine. Do I need to use a hot-glue gun to keep the board still/flat? Until now, I've been using a couple of wedge-shaped particle board pieces that I tap against with a hammer.

Sponsored Links
How much is it "out", and over what length?
I can think of two or three things that could be going wrong though.
- The work piece is moving
- The surface you are running off isn't true
- You are putting more weight on at the start and end of the cut, "springing" the jig down, and causing the cutter to move down as well.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back