router problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi iam currently a ntl cable subsciber and my bt router will not work i wish to go back to aol where the router will work what settings will i have to change

Sponsored Links
So were you on AOL broadband before with the router? Can you provide more details?

Generally, the default router settings will work and you just need to enter your AOL username and password into the router PPPoA settings page. This needs to be the full AOL id ([email protected]). Setting the router maximum transfer unit (MTU) to 1400 often helps prevent dropped packets. You will also have to either remove the AOL software or change it to an 'always on' connection to prevent it trying to dial out, otherwise it won't recognise the fact that it's already connected. Do a search of the forum as we have covered this recently.

Alternatively, why not just buy a cable router for use with NTL?

If you are on cable then a dsl router won't work - different technologies. There are a couple of routers about that do cable and dsl but not common and not given away with the connection.

Sponsored Links
Key problem here: are you plugging your router into your NTL phone line?

Cable phone lines come over the same cable as the TV and the broadband.

adsl (such as AOL, BT etc) comes over the BT phoneline to the exchange.

You cannot get ADSL over a cable phone line.

My opinion? If you want a cheap, all-in-one solution go for cable-everything. Phone, TV and broadband. NTL will no doubt be able to sell/give you the equipment required when you subscribe.

If you want optimal performance, go for separates: Sky TV, BT phone, ADSL broadband. Costs a little bit more per month, but you can do without the download limits, get more TV channels etc.

Back