D-Link router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone-I've been trying to connect a D-Link router up to my pc-currently using windows 98 on aol silver,having trouble getting it to connect-it goes thru the motions,when it comes to the sign on screen it goes throught to step 4 i think and then stops,when I do a check on it ,it says it cant detect any modem but all the settings seem to be correct with the D-Link software-I am wondering if it is an aol setting,I know the thing works because we had it from a friend and he was using it on aol. Any help would be appreciated as I'm going to give it another go this weekend. Chris

Sorry forgot to say-it's a D-Link wireless router DSL-904.

Please note general information item g

Sponsored Links
Hve you programmed the router with your connection details? You don't actually have to install the AOL software to get it to work, but the software should detect the fact that you are using a LAN based connection rather than a modem directly.

How have you connectted the router?

Can you access internet explorer without connecting to AOL?
Here are the all important settings from AOL for setting up a router:

Required Details:

Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
Username: [email protected]
Password: youraolpassword

Yes-tried all that -except I was told by aol to use the PPPoE setting,i'm getting all the right status lights on the router-i try to sign on and it gets to step 2 on the sign on screen and will not go any further. I configured it online by going on internet explorer with the ip address it gives in the instructions for the router and on this it says the router is connected and enabled so I cant understand why I cant get it to fully connect. Another long night trying to install this thing with no luck. :mad:

Sponsored Links
There are two distinct connections here...

1. Router connection to the AOL broadband service.
Spark123 gave you the correct details for this, except that you do need to use PPPoE (not PPPoA) for AOL.

2. PC connection to the router.
You don't need to sign on in order to access the Internet - only for the AOL services, e.g. Email*.

So, you need to establish which connection is not working. If you've configured the router then that connection must be working, which leaves only the ADSL connection.

Can you be more specific about the lights on the router and what they mean?

* Depending on what Email accounts you have, you may be constrained by AOLs recent changes to their SMTP services. They've rate-limited the use of smtp.aol.com (and smtp.aim.com) for non-AOL accounts, in order to discourage bulk-mailing, but it's had the effect of strangling many legitimate SMTP uses/users.

Windows 98? Have you just installed a network adaptor or are you sure any existing one is working? I assume you are connecting via ethernet?

Softus said:
There are two distinct connections here...

1. Router connection to the AOL broadband service.
Spark123 gave you the correct details for this, except that you do need to use PPPoE (not PPPoA) for AOL.

I did hear something about AOL switching to PPPoE, but PPPoA connections still appear to work. Do you know of a cut-off date?

The settings were directly from the AOL website, I don't have a clue what the difference is between PPPoE and PPPoA, only that mine (Netgear DG834GT) is set to PPPoA and works fine. I'll have a nosey about on the AOL website and see if they are changing over.
I thought it was step 4 it was stopping on??
Have you tried adding a new location:

From the sign on screen:
Click sign on options
Select add location
Give it a name and click next
Should say something like AOL has detected broadband, click next
Either click close to return to sign in screen or sign onto aol now

Igorian said:
I did hear something about AOL switching to PPPoE, but PPPoA connections still appear to work. Do you know of a cut-off date?
A cut-off date would be nice, but I don't trust anything that comes of AOL. Ever.

I haven't tried PPPoA with AOL recently, I just follow what I think is current guidance - two recent conversions from USB/modem to Ethernet/router. However, I haven't had a panic call from any old client for whom I'd configured a router with PPPoA, so I guess they're all still working.

The SMTP rate-limit is the final straw for me. No more AOL - they can f*ck off.

The essential broadband setting page directly from aol is as follows:
I think there will be hell on if they changed it to PPPoE and screwed up all their connections :LOL: (not like AOL is it??)
Whats an SMTP rate??

Spark123 said:
The essential broadband setting page directly from aol is as follows: <an image>
That image is months old. :confused:

Whats an SMTP rate??
In AOL's case, the frequency at which you can connect to their authenticated SMTP server to send a message. On port 25 they limit it for non-AOL source domains, with an alternative port that doesn't work for all source-domain STMP servers. The b*astards.

Softus said:
Spark123 said:
The essential broadband setting page directly from aol is as follows: <an image>
That image is months old. :confused:
Yup, good old aol :D
Live link here if you can access it:AOL essential settings for connecting
I can't see them changing to PPPoE though and not updating their own website. If they were phasing it out I'd expect them to have changed this first?
What's the difference between PPPoE and PPPoA?
Softus said:
Spark123 said:
Whats an SMTP rate??
In AOL's case, the frequency at which you can connect to their authenticated SMTP server to send a message. On port 25 they limit it for non-AOL source domains, with an alternative port that doesn't work for all source-domain STMP servers. The b*astards.
Email? AOL are good at filtering out spam, and seem to be good at filtering out everything else as well (even if it isn't spam) :LOL:

Next thing they'll be accidentally releasing data on their users :LOL:

Spark123 said:
Email? AOL are good at filtering out spam, and seem to be good at filtering out everything else as well (even if it isn't spam) :LOL:
Yup - the SMTP rate-limit is a very effective customer filter, and is managing to get rid those otherwise loyal customers who are such a frightful nuisance to everyone.

Yes-the e-mail I got from them with details to help me set up this router definitely says PPPoE,the lights on the router are as follows-power,status,which flashes when normal(and it does),ADSL,which comes on,WLAN,which also comes on,and then 4 lights which correspond with the lan ports so whichever one you plug into lights up and thats ok as well. I have an ethernet card fitted and that is also ok according to settings in control panel. I have been told you dont need to sign on to aol to access the internet but why would I not want to when I have e-mails and favourites stored and I know the format,and I also pay them for provoiding my service so natrually I want to use it.

Sponsored Links
Back