D-Link 615 Router Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a D-Link 615 Router (originally my main router) which I have re-purposed as a WiFi repeater. It is connected to my current main router (VM Superhub 2) via LAN to provide WiFi coverage at the back of the house.

Yesterday whilst connected to it, I lost internet connection and my laptop's signal strength icon showed a yellow exclamation mark with 'limited access' written across it.

The usual lights on the router were lit, but were no longer flashing, so I powered it down and up again. Now non of the lights on the front are lit, but the blue WPS button on the side which I have never seen illuminated before is permanently on. I carried out a reset by holding down the reset button on the back, but the situation remains.

Also, I am unable to connect to the router via its IP address. When I try to connect, the process times out telling me it took too long to respond.

So. does anyone know what having just the blue light showing signifies, and if it's possible, how to fix it please?

I remember the 'blue screen of death' could this be the 'blue light of death'? :(

If it helps, it's H/W Version D2 and F/W Version 1.00

Sponsored Links
I would guess it has died. Did it used to get pretty hot where you had it located?

If you turn off WiFi on your laptop and connect direct to it with a patch lead, can you get anything at all? i.e. a link light for starters, then ping it or get into the menu at all?

It lived on top of the kitchen cupboards so only a few inches below the ceiling, but a meter away from the ovens and even more to the hob, although I was surprised how warm it was to the touch when I was messing with it yesterday.

Nothing happens when connected to my laptop with a patch lead. No comms at all, or link light.

I have found the instructions for it on line but no info about what the permanent WPS light means.

Sponsored Links
I think it's knackered then, even re-flashing the firmware to un-brick it needs an ethernet port to work.

edit: Just a thought, have you measured the output of the power brick in case anything odd is going on?

Back