Wireless router question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 2wire Homeportal 1800HG and wish to upgrade to a new wireless router.

I was looking at them on amerzon and the pictures don't show where to plug my telephone line into the router. The router I have now is wireless but it drops signal 10 times a day and the range is not very good.
I have a telephone cable pluged into it and it and a cable to the sky box.

What type of router (wireless) will I need as when I look on the interweb some of the routers don't have a socket for the phone line to go into .

Many thanks Ade

Sponsored Links
There has to be a socket for the phone wire to go into, it just won't be shown in the pictures.
I just got a new router (NETGEAR DGND3300). It was quite expensive but I don't think it's as good as the cheaper THOMSON 802.11g Wireless 4-port Ethernet ADSL2+ Route that I used to have which was only half the price.

I think I need to type modem in as well

Almost all wireless capable routers can be connected to the computer via a network cable. There should be a socket to allow an ethernet cable to be plugged into the router. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to get a free one from your BB provider?

ADSL if you get your BB via a telephone line (BT, SKY, Talk Talk etc)

DSL if your with Virgin.

My best advice would be to look at the reviews. You can usually get a good idea about how reliable the item will be from them.

The 2-wire 1800HG is an ADSL modem/router for non-cable connections. IIRC it was BT's preferred router for business applications a few years ago. It supports 11Mbps wireless connections. It can therefore be replaced with any ADSL/ADSL2 modem/router which has an RJ11 connection for the connection to the phone line. There are many makes and models available, including Netgear Xytel, Belkin, Draytek and D-Link amongst others. Don't forget you will have to configure your new modem/router with your ADSL logon settings and the local IP address range

As a footnote, the difference between modem routers for BT-type connections and routers for cable connections is that the cable ones have a separate RJ45 socket to connect to the cable modem, or if the modem and router are combined, a connection for the co-axial cable. On the BT-type, this connection is RJ11

Hi I have a 2wire Homeportal 1800HG and wish to upgrade to a new wireless router.

I was looking at them on amerzon and the pictures don't show where to plug my telephone line into the router. The router I have now is wireless but it drops signal 10 times a day and the range is not very good.
I have a telephone cable pluged into it and it and a cable to the sky box.

What type of router (wireless) will I need as when I look on the interweb some of the routers don't have a socket for the phone line to go into .

Many thanks Ade
Are you with Sky for broadband? they provide free wireless router.

Sponsored Links
Back