routes to metering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

Can someone assist with the following query;

I am currently converting a property into two dwelling flats. The existing property is served by a 3 phase supply with only one of those in use (currently feeding a meter) The other two phases are not in use.

What is the best and most cost effective way of adding another meter to one of the phases?

I haven't approached SP yet, however I am told from one of their employees that it could need a new supply all together thus costing thousands!

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Iolo

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is get SP out for a site survey. Only they can tell you what can and can't be done on your supply

Well you basically have two choices. You can either leave the existing meter where it is and install two private meters downstream of it. Or you can request the installation of seperate supplier meters.

If you go for private meters then you will have to read them, bill the tenants, chase the tenants for payment of said bills and so-on. It will also make life difficult if you want to sell the two properties seperately.

If you go for seperate supplier meters the DNO may or may not be happy having two seperate supplier meters on the existing supply cable. Given that it's three phase I expect they will be fine putting a meter on each phase but the only way to find out for sure is to ask the. If there are any comunal areas of the property you will also need to give some thought to how these will be supplied with power., you may need to have a third meter installed to provide a "landlords supply".

Either way you will have to seperate the circuits of the two properties which may involve some rewiring. You also need to make sure that any switches, fuses, meters, breakers etc that serve a property are accessible by the owners of that property and that any common equipment is accessible to everyone who needs access to it. Again this may involve some wiring work and possiblly even moving the incoming connection.

Sponsored Links
I am currently converting a property into two dwelling flats. The existing property is served by a 3 phase supply with only one of those in use (currently feeding a meter) The other two phases are not in use. What is the best and most cost effective way of adding another meter to one of the phases? I haven't approached SP yet, however I am told from one of their employees that it could need a new supply all together thus costing thousands!
The options, and some of the possible issues,have been explained to you.

I would have thought that connecting one, two or three meters to the existing service should, in itself, be straightforward, and I would have thought would involve little, if any, cost for you. However, the crunch question is whether the supply is regarded as satisfactory for use. If, as you imply, one phase of it is currently being used, I'm not clear as to how it can be 'unsatisfactory' - but I suppose it's just about possible (seems unlikley, given the presence of the other two phases) that it would not be considered satisfactory/ adequate to supply two dwellings. If the (existing, and being used) supply did need replacing (because it was considered in some way unsatisfactory), then it seems far from certain that such would have to be at your cost.

There are clearly a lot of unknowns, so, as has been said, you really need to ask SP to survey the present setup and tell you what the situation is.

Kind Regards, John

Gents

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful.

In essence; the property doesnt have any communal areas as it only contains demises for flat 1 & 2. I've dealt with landlord supplies before and I would always try and steer away from it.

All I want is two seperate meters externally within a proprietary cupboard thus allowing any fuses to be easily accessible externally.

Thank you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back