Routing bottom of the door to fit over door jam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I'm replacing an old (stable type) external back door with a solid wood door.

I'm not 100% what to do with regards the bottom of the door, where it needs to overhang the (metal) jam at the bottom.

I've drawn a cross section of how the old door looked - so essentially the bottom 10mm of the door is half thickness and fits over the jam (grey) with a seal (brown).

I am planning on just running a router along the bottom to give it the same functionality.

Is that sensible? I cant find many videos showing people doing this, so I thought I'd ask...

Cheers!
Ed

Attachments

• door.png
    door.png
    1 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Yes. There are various designs of rain bar where this approach needs to be taken. It is fairly heavy work, though, so is best done with a 1/2in router. Watch out for nails, screws, etc in the door bottom as they (together with embedded grit in old doors) can chip or even wreck a router cutter.

The job needn't be done with a router, though - a smaller (I.e. not heavy or physically overly large) circular saw could also be used to do the job, with a chisel to do any clean up work. I've used a 165mm cordless circular saw to do this job a number of times when I didn't have a router with me

Remember to seal the cuts thoroughly before rehanging the door

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked well with a router - thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back