Floating a solid wood floor over concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - first post.

I've got a concrete floor - covered in old broken plastic tiles which I'm going to pick up. The concrete floor is old and only a few cm thick and will will need a bit of levelling.

Ground floor terrace property - bedrooms and hallways narrowing to 1m. I'm going to assume a high but constant humidity all year around as the ground floor never received direct sunlight.

To avoid trimming all my doors and a short bottom step, I was thinking of laying a sheet dpm, 3mm laminate style underlay and floating a solid wood floor - glued t&g.

14mm thick
Mostly of 2-2.5 meter lengths
1200/1400 or 1600 mm width.

Do you think the floor will be stable enough? Should I put down a thin plywood sheet first? Should I get a 20mm floor and trim the doors instead?
What width plank is more stable?

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.
Earl

Sponsored Links
Just been reading through the relevant stickies... hard work for the notice diyer....

So any comments are well appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back