Routing cable inside an internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to fit a new plug above a worksurface in my kitchen on an internal partition wall. I have cut out for the plastic mounting box, and now I need to get the cable down 3 ft to get under the floorboards. The problem is that the wall seems to be made of a plasterboard sandwich with a lattice of cardboard running horizontally and vertically inside. There are holes running horizontally and vertically in the middle of each cell for wires, but since the flat is 40-odd years old, it is only big enough for the single core cable which my lighting circuit used to be wired in (until I rewired it). Can anyone suggest a way of getting 2.5 T+E * 2 down there?

I've tried ramming a chisel down it, but the hole is too awkward to work in, and I don't have any plumbing rods or similar to try to push a path through. Is the only other way to cut a channel, push the wire in and then replaster? Also should I be using conduit of any kind?

Sponsored Links
I get asked occosionally to fit a plug on the wall and the only way I can find is to glue it on or use double sided tape. The customer refuses to pay me as they say that is not what they want. But that is what they asked for so why are they trying to get out of paying me for fulfilling the contract.

to be honest, that does sound like a bit of a bodge, i wouldn't be happy paying for that as I would make sure I at least fitted it properly.

I've fitted the plug fine, it's just the wiring that's the problem. if i have to rip out the plaster all the way down I will, i have no problem with plastering it up again, i'd just rather find an easier way.

There may a wooden stud frame inside the wall to overcome as well.
If it’s under a worktop. How about considering external trunking

Sponsored Links
yeah there is, i just found it. I can use trunking under the worktop, but i have about 20cm to go above it, could i route this inside the wall for the short bit (rather easier to do) in conduit, and then come out into trunking for the remainder?

Fitting a plug to the wall and wiring it to the mains is dangerous as there will be live pins protruding from the wall. Why would you want this?. Do you have suicidal tendencies?

i don't think you read my original post:
I have cut out for the plastic mounting box

surely this suggests i'm mounting a socket into which i will insert plugs. maybe my second post was misleading in my use of incorrect nomenclature, but i'm not stupid!

smike said:
There may a wooden stud frame inside the wall to overcome as well.
If it’s under a worktop. How about considering external trunking

I cut another hole in the wall below the stud and rammed condit down the hole and it seemed to go a good 3 feet before hitting the next bit of stud, i think I can just chisel out enough to get past each piece of stud and i should be fine. The last bit is laying on top of the floorboards, so that's the base of the wall i guess.

You need to be 50mm below the surface for the wiring to comply with the regs. What I do is to cut a hole above and below the stud and drill a hole through, 50mm below the surface.

surely if the wall is only 50mm thick and there's a room on the other side then that's not going to work! besides if i use conduit i'm fine. where precisely in which regs does it say this?

I've just taken a picture of it, see here:
http://home.exemel.co.uk:8080/kitchen/socket.jpg

obviously i still need to make it good.

pdcelec said:
You need to be 50mm below the surface for the wiring to comply with the regs. What I do is to cut a hole above and below the stud and drill a hole through, 50mm below the surface.

Only if the cable is not run in permitted zones

crystal ball said:
pdcelec said:

Only if the cable is not run in permitted zones

which of course include vertical and horizontal bands from fittings, which is where mine is. pdcelec, you seem to quote the regs a lot but seem to miss some very basic knowledge, but yet seem to be a professional, are you sure you should be giving advice?

I stand corrected regarding the zones. OK no more advice will be offered to yourself by me. Just be careful asking questions using incorrect terms, as you will recieve incorrect answers.

pdcelec said:
I stand corrected regarding the zones. OK no more advice will be offered to yourself by me. Just be careful asking questions using incorrect terms, as you will recieve incorrect answers.

Probably just as well!

crystal ball said:
pdcelec said:

Probably just as well!

You must get sore sitting on the fence all that time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back