Routing cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Quick question. I have some power cables that come out of the wall, one to power under ckitchen cabinet lights and one to power a cooker hood. I need to move these to a different part of the wall. Am I allowed to move these horizontally straight across or do I nneed to go up, along the rafters and back down again? Thanks.
Andy

Sponsored Links
There must be a reference point to show where the cables are so if you leave in the original switch then no problem with horizontal however if you remove the thing (switch) which shows where the cables are in the wall then you need to remove any live cables from the wall.

I guess you are referring to the power to the old hood? There is no switch. So if I install a switch on the old veritical above the kitchen cabinets near top of wall, then I should be ok to go horizontally across with the cable where it comes out at the midpoint of the wall? Is that ok? What about the cabinet lighting cable, any restrictions on that, switch for that isn't even in the same room. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Eric's already said it:

There must be a reference point to show where the cables are

As long as your changes leave some indication that live cables are hidden in the wall and thereby act as a warning to anyone with a Black and Decker or a six-inch nail then you are meeting the requirements of the regs as to cable routing. Other requirements may also have to be taken into account.

PJ

So from that wiki, it sounds like the hood switch needs to be in the middle of the wall, on the vertical at the point where the horizontal crosses it? Thats fine for the cooker hood. What about the under cabinet lighting, I guess it would be ok to route across on the same horizontal? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back