Routing Letters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking at making something where I would rout out some letters and a custom part of Japanese symbols. I have found there are jigs you can get but is there a way of making it more fancy? I know trend and rockler (I think it was) do one but they look the same and appear to be the only ones on the market.

As for the Japanese I would be looking at making something like this
(http://kanji-symbol.net/2011/karate-2/) which would then be painted? Or would it look better if they were proud? What are peoples thoughts?

How would I go about doing this?

Something with the symbols down each side and the word karate in the middle or the Japanese above or below the word karate?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

James

Sponsored Links
Try a pantograph - I've used a router/pantograph to do exactly what you're trying to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have this set
https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+sign-pro-sign-routing-kit+1262?tyah=y
you could make your own symbols from say 6mm mdf or ply and thin out the edge to i think it is 3mm to fit in the track
other choices assuming a set phrase is make up a template from ply or mdf a greater thickness than the guide bush
but keep in mind you you wont have middles to any letter unless you can fully follow the outer edge a 0 or Q for example

How big?
I'd look at getting what you want laser cut. If you want it trad effnik use a wood with soft /soft rings, like douglas fir, and you when you cut a relief into the wood, you get an instant weathered look.
A guy where this was done just made a sign for Japanese drum group with stylised Kanji - cool.
If you want it tecno use acrylic sheet.
Very tecno, use fluorescent-looking colours.
If you want really go geek, use genuinely fluorescent acrylic, then shine a UV torch at it and it'll glow in the dark.
You can work from a pdf file
like this, which is about a4 size: Started with 16 pieces in the jigsaw , then someone said, hang on, he's 1 year old :rolleyes:.

So it got 6
jigsaw.jpg
Pieces are 4mm ply, behind is mdf. The picture is all laser engraved. 60W laser.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a job for a CNC router. Do you have a local hackspace who could help out? Failing that you could get it done commercially but it won't be that cheap. Or you could do something with a pyrography pen if you have a steady hand

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I would only be doing this the once so something possibly inexpensive if possible?

Which would be the cheapest / easiest option from all of the above? I presume that CNC routers, pantograps and lasers are all pretty expensive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back