Rover 25 2.0 TDI Start Up Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My Rover 25 2.0 TDI has a start up problem. Since some recent cold weather, whenever I turn the key in the ignition the car doesn't start. It will start up if I try to turn it over several times. The amount I have to try varies, occasionally I'll get it on the first go, sometimes it takes only a few tries, other times I've spent up to 10 minutes trying to get it to start.

When I turn the key and it doesn't start, my battery light comes on and a low volume alarm will sound. Whilst it's in this state all of my accessories (lights, radio etc) come alive regardless of engine start or not.

After returning from a journey today I tested starting it up immediately after shutting it off. I did this around 5 times leaving up to 10 seconds gap between attempts and it started every time.

I am assuming it is a battery problem. The battery not holding charge when the car is shut off perhaps? Or could this be a problem with the alternator? Or something else entirely... I know little about cars in all honesty!

Due to some recent financial issues I just haven't been able to get it to a garage and have been using it rarely. Now I've just landed a new job and I need to use the car daily so need to get it sorted ASAP. Just thought I would try here beforehand to potentially save on some mechanic fees if a battery replace would fix it.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Hi, it could be a dirty connection on the signal wire on the starter, just remove and clean then replace. Also these 75's suffer from water ingress into the Ecu due to the drain plugs getting bunged up and the bulkhead filling with rain water. You can check this by taking the removable grill off on the drivers side bulkhead and shine a torch down there and see if its full of water. the ECU and the glow plug relay are located on the passenger side of the bulkhead. if it is found to be water you can remove the ECU and relay and dry them out with a hair dryer but obviously don't forget to unblock the drain holes before refitting. A bit of a fiddly job but saves you loads ££££££.

Sponsored Links
Back