Rover 75 diesel starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After sitting for a few days Rover 75 cdt fails to start. Switch on the key the headlamps flash on but engine does not even turn, a few minutes on a trickle charge and it fires first time any ideas. It has a carphone and sat-nav fitted when new and has 145,000 miles on the clock and has been an excellent,and reliable car, up till now, battery is good. could it be wiring problem. Help

Sponsored Links
THe battery was still under warranty and less than 2 year old the supplier checked it, and it came up O.K. Could there be a short from the sat nav or the phone and when idle for a few days the battery is just to low to turn the engine . When I turn the key the headlights flash on but the motor just refuses even to turn , why do the headlights flash ?? and how do you check for something shorting the system ??

Sponsored Links
I'd start by giving the battery terminals a good clean up and take it from there

Terminals were brushed and jellied by the supplier when battery was checked, and I checked and cleaned all relevant connections . but thanks for the reply anyway. It is important that connections are clean. My son in law is running a T reg Focus diesel still on its original battery and 197,000 miles . He is meticulous with clean terminals.

Try to get hold of an ammeter and check to see if it's drawing current when not in use, thereby draining the battery.

as said you need to get someone to check the current drain from the battery when parked up,maybe the alternator is stuffed

Sponsored Links
Back