renault laguna electrics and sat nav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i have a 2003 renault laguna initial diesel sports estate, a while ago, the sat nav system stopped picking up the satelite signal, and we are often driving in th north sea, or irish, about the same time, our clock started playing up, when you get into the car, you can set it, and it runs, no problem, but once you have turned off the ignition, it needs to be reset again, and now, we have battery charging fault popping up in the display, just a few seconds at a time, but still anoyying, have had auto elec check this out, and i am told alternator is charging fine, and no prob;lem can be found, has anyone any idea, whats going wrong, or anyone with the same problem, thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem ( Laguna 2004 1.9 diesel estate) with the 'Battery not Charging' 'STOP' display comming on. This is always when the engine is first started and happens say every 10th start. After a few seconds it warning goes off. I had a new alternator fitted, but it has not solved the problem.

Any ideas ?

and we are often driving in th north sea,

There's your problem right there. :D

following my posting on here, i have now been told that this is not a major problem, it comes from renault, that all it means is that the battery needs charging, and once the warning goes off, it is doing exactly that, charging, so that may be why it is not happening every occasion. i had mine checked out by my son in law, who owns an auto electrical workshop, he did all the checks and more, and contacted many people in the trade to find this solution, apparently, all new renaults show this on the screen before ignition now. hope this helps. needlass to say, if the warning light stays on, then you do have a problem..

Sponsored Links
So if the alternator is putting out the correct voltage/current it follows that either you aren't doing enough driving to charge it or your battery is faulty.

... or something is running it down. Modern alternator output is such that most of the charge used in starting is replaced in a few minutes. You need to check the battery voltage when the light comes on, with the engine running it should be around 14.4 volts. If that is OK connect an amp meter between the + terminal and the lead that you have removed from it, with everything switched off, anything less than 100ma should be OK.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back