VW Golf GT TDi Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Golf GT TDi 2.0 Mk5, 05reg.

I have a slight problem in that whenever i drive the car in the sun, the fan starts, it starts before it even gets up to temp and never goes higher than halfway on the temp needle, Its fine when the outside temp is cold, however as soon as a bit of sun gets on the bonett the fan starts, sometimes as soon as i start it up for the 1st time that day?

Any ideas what the problem is and how much the part/repair might cost? If its simple i may do it myself if not then i might have to take to a garage

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a sensor fault but which and where I don't know, I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The fan on that car is prone to faults, the control module for it is part of the fan itself, you need to get it to a garage with a copy of VCDS and have the fault codes read.

Could also be the temperature sensor starting to fail, though it might be reading correctly on the gauge the needles are programmed to sit at the 90 degree mark within a set temperature range which is roughly +/- 10 degrees either side of 90.

Good news is the fan (if it is) is easy to change, 4 torx bolts and one wiring connector, and just slides out, if you have no AC it will be even easier.

p.s you will be pleased to know coolant temperature sensors and fans were also a massive problem on the old Golf/A3 platform too

:LOL:

Back