rover cuts out after starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi new to this, i have just bought a m reg rover 220 2 weeks ago it will start but then cuts out it will not rev i can only just afford to run it so any help will be appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
is it fuel injection or carburettor ?

i'd suspect the fuel system first - possibly the fuel pump either kaput or blocked.

Has it got petrol? (dip the tank to be really sure or tap it to see if it sounds hollow as you might have a dodgy fuel gauge and you are only starting on residual fumes)

Are the fuel line filters clean? (shine a torch through them to see if they have sediment build up)

Is the fuel pump working properly? (take the input pipe from the tank and let gravity show you if fuel is coming to the pump. refit this pipe and then remove the output to the carb/injection meter - turn the engine over and see if it squirts fuel or not)

If all of this is OK then once the engine has stalled, turn it over a few times on the starter and then take out the sparkplugs to see if they are "wet" with fuel. If they are dry then you are running on fumes. If they are wet then you have a mixture/metering problem.

Don't forget to try it without the air filter as well just in case the filter is blocked and causing an overrich mixture.

Check that the exhaust system isn't blocked either (collapsed silencer/cat or ASBO+banana) you should be able to check this by putting your hand over the tailpipe and having someone crank the engine over. you should feel the pressure wave for each exhaust stroke.

I don't think it is the ignition system otherwise it wouldn't start initially. See how you go with the first checks.

we have a rover 214 and when we got it, joined the rover/mg forum as mentioned above, its fantastic - very friendly and helpul for all things technical related.

sorry I cant help with your problem, but i do suspect it to be a fuelling one

Sponsored Links
doney said:
hi new to this, i have just bought a m reg rover 220 2 weeks ago it will start but then cuts out it will not rev i can only just afford to run it so any help will be appreciated thanks

Rover!! it trying to be nice to you, its saving you from driving it.

Back