RSJ and Padstone Placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Can someone please check the attached plans?

We are looking at having a load bearing internal ground floor wall removed and replaced by a steel.

My concern is with the padstone placement. The wall running vertically in the left of the picture with the french doors opening into the playroom is a plasterboard studwall and so only a very small amount of the lefthand padstone is actually sat on what will remain of the block wall that runs horizontally in the picture. Also the padstones are off centre with eachother.

Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 20170701_092236.jpg
    20170701_092236.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but it looks wrong to me. Having recently lifted a fair few large padstones I would not want one resting on a stud wall...granted some of it is on a block wall but most isn't. Surely the padstone just needs turning 90 degrees to run along to block wall? Maybe it's an error in the drawing - best talk to the builder.

It depends on what the loading is, and what type of brick/blockwork is in the wall running horizontally.
If the load is not great, it could be that the 100 x 100 bearing on the masonry wall is ok, and the rest of the padstone would just be redundant.
If it is a true timber stud wall (and not one of those ghastly egg-crate partitions) that (believe it or not) will also provide some (albeit limited) support.

Thanks both.

These are the plans from the SE but it doesnt seem right to me (based only on instinct).

Yes its a genuine studwork wall. What other measurements are required to calculate this properly?

Sponsored Links
These are the plans from the SE but it doesnt seem right to me

Has your SE supplied any more information ?,they usually supply the calculation. So far you have just shown us a drawing of the proposed alteration,any more info ?

See attached.

I have no doubt the steel is properly spec'd my concern is so much padstone on a stud wall.

Attachments

• PSX_20170701_134242.jpg
    PSX_20170701_134242.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 283
  • PSX_20170701_133930.jpg
    PSX_20170701_133930.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
As far as i can see those figures don't give the calcs for the padstones.

Blockwork can be strong enough to support a beam directly with a relatively small bearing. The se could have produced calculations for the bearing if there was any question there. Perhaps he is happy with the pressure on the wall, and is happy that the lateral stability of the wall is provided by the stud wall above and below plus the ceiling.
The main thing is to ask your SE as they should have an interest in getting it right and they have presumably visited site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back