RSJ and Wall Plate Strap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have taken out a loud bearing wall. Building control have been and inspected the works and have said it is ok. They did suggest for added security to fit an L shaped wall plate strap.

I am struggling to to see how and were I would fit this and why it would give any benefit?

Could anyone shed some light, or am I missing something?

I have attached a photo of one end of my RSJ, as you can see it is butted up to a timber joist, I cannot see were the strap would go?

IMAG0160.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could fit a noggin tight into the web of the steel and fix it from the back with screws through a couple of drilled holes and then fit the vertical strap to the timber and down the brickwork. This could be done for each end of the steel if required.

The new brickwork doesn't look like it's bonded with the origonal wall. Is this the case?
If so, the strapping will only be as strong as the bond of the old bricks to new.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back