RSJ directly under ceiling joists ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ok, I am knocking an internal wall out between kitchen and dining room. BC has done the necessary and everything is supported/propped ready to go.

Property is a bungalow.

So, my question, beam is 178mm high. It will be sitting on 135mm high padstones due to internal wall bring not so solid blocks. Issue here is roof purlin and wooden beam for dormer extension both rest on more or less the same spot ontop of the wall I am removing. Seems to me the best solution is to fit the steel directly under the ceiling joists and also provide a better base for supporting the purlin blocks and the dormer beam.

Am I better off lifting the steel in first, propping it on props and fitting padstones under or fitting padstones first and putting beam in place ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's what I was thinking was the best way. I will try and post pictures later.

Sponsored Links
Tidy job, well done. :D

Always appreciated when people let us know how their projects went.

Always get the web drilled with M10 holes at say 600mm centres which allows your fit a timber sandwich into each channel, thus making cladding the beam simpler.

Thanks guys. I will try and remember to post up some pictured when its all plastered up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back