RSJ movement and a lack of building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster here. About 3 years ago my uncle (20+ years' as a general builder) installed an RSJ to create a new kitchen/diner for us and I've recently noticed a few hairline cracks (1mm) around the RSJ - see pic below. He did the job for free so I can't really complain, however I know he didn't use padstones and we didn't get calcs done. The RSJ is cemented on top of brickwork.

I'd just bought the house and have since completely refurbished it, learning loads along the way. Had no idea about building regs at the time - didn't even know such a thing existed if I'm honest - but I now know this doesn't meet them.

Can anyone offer any guidance on what to do here and whether I should be worried by these cracks? My Uncle's a top guy and has been a builder for a long time but I'm worried that by him cutting a few corners it may jeopardise a few things - mainly our safety but also, we're looking to move in Spring 2017, so this could put buyer's off!

Any input greatly received.

Thanks in advance

20161103_151040.jpg

Sponsored Links
Worst case, you'll have to get the plaster chipped off, akro the RSJ up, remove the brick underneath and padstone it. Take plenty of photos as you do it as the buyers serveyor may want to see proof of an RSJ done to regs. You might though end up having to get some calcs done and go through building control, might cost you about a grand, but then it's done.

Your uncle will know exactly how did did it - what does he think about those cracks?

Cheers
Richard

Uncle should have known about building regs as well !

Sponsored Links
JBM2015, good evening.

OK a Hairline crack, WOW! BUT! only on one side of the beam??? If the beam bearing was / had failed??? then there would be cracking [much larger than Hairline, on BOTH!!! sides of the beam and the bearing??? think on it? if the bearing has / is failing [i do not think it is] then in effect the bearing is being crushed, so cracking in my opinion would occur on both sides of the beam / bearing?

Question? was the wall Skimmed with a coat of plaster?

The minute hairline crack appears to be travelling between the beam and the top of the door frame, not the lintel in the door frame?

A Hairline crack forming after some 3 Years after the work was completed is as I would consider not structural [see Question] above?

Ken.

As steel and plaster expand at different rates, when its hot the beam gets longer, so pushes the plaster/brtickwork away from its ends, its in the order of .01mm, so this strains the plaster and tiny little bits drop off.After twenty years or so the there will be minute pockets at the end of the beams where it moves and a few milligramme of plaster dust floating about.
Does not seem worth panicking about, fill the crack with a bit of paint if it really upsets you, it will happen again.
Frank

As it was done 3 years ago, I doubt if anyone will query it, they'll just accept it's there, unless you get asked if any building work has been done, then it's up to you as to whether you admit to it. The steels obviously up to scratch, otherwise you'd be showing us the cracks in the middle of the room, where the steels sagging.

It is possible that the padstone isn't up to scratch, and it's going on the weakest side first but as suggested, invite your uncle round for a drink, and get his opinion. I too don't think you've got much to worry about, and suspect it's just general settlement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back