RSJ overhang please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Iv attached 3 pictures.

Opposite our stairs is a jut out of wall in the hall.. the piece of wall continues from the dinning room. We want to remove it. But im guessing there is nowhere for an RSJ to rest both ends on (just 1 end).

The wall inside the dinning room is a stud wall upstairs is a brick wall. So I guess there is a lintel there resting on the jut out of brick work in the hall. The little jut downstairs in the hall is brick... is there anyway we can remove that????maybe if we built the main room wall out of block???? Or did a block section if not the whole wall??? But can you then have an overhang of lintel with nothing under it or is that not allowed.

I hope this makes a tiny bit of sense with the photos. I won't be doing this myself but I want to know what would be involved so I can estimate a price and don't get ripped off.

Hope someone can help me

Attachments

• 20210331_145730.jpg
    20210331_145730.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210331_145720.jpg
    20210331_145720.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 20210331_145742.jpg
    20210331_145742.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 203
Sponsored Links
You can overhang a steel beam, as long as the overhang isn't excessive in relation to the whole span.

From what you say, I get the impression the brick wall in the hall is what is supporting the steel and the brick wall above - if the blue wall is a stud wall, then I don't think you'll be able to remove the solid wall in the hall ... unless there is enough wall still to support the steel, but, if that was the case, it probably would have been built differently ...

Sponsored Links
From what you say, I get the impression the brick wall in the hall is what is supporting the steel and the brick wall above - if the blue wall is a stud wall, then I don't think you'll be able to remove the solid wall in the hall ... unless there is enough wall still to support the steel, but, if that was the case, it probably would have been built differently ...

Yeah. I'm thinking we could take the stud blue wall down and do it back up in block... putting in a new long lintel across... so we can remove that part of the wall sticking out in the hall.

Or, remove the brick wall above - although the roof might be sitting on that ...

Or, remove the brick wall above - although the roof might be sitting on that ...

That's another good idea. How do you tell if the roof is resting on it. Is that dependant on the direction of the joists or any tell tail signs I can look for.

If I can work it out... then maybe just get a bricky to take it down...

Go up in the loft and see if there is a wall plate / wood sitting on it, although likely something would straddle it ....
how old is the house? I assume it has all solid walls, then the downstairs rooms was opened up, and then later closed again.
Might be cleaner to brick up the downstairs room ... less dust and dirt to build a wall ...
I am really just guessing though!

That's another good idea. How do you tell if the roof is resting on it. Is that dependant on the direction of the joists or any tell tail signs I can look for.

If I can work it out... then maybe just get a bricky to take it down...

Take a look in the loft - A large V in the roof timbers, with the bottom end of the V sitting on and above where the wall is, suggests the wall supports the roof.

House was made in the 1940's.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Really helpful. At least when getting a quote I can tell them what needs to be done so I don't sound clueless....

I'd do a bit more investigation first, or rather get an SE to have a look - the existing wall with the two doorways might be enough to support the beam, possibly with a steel post set into the blue stud wall or some blockwork/a structural stud wall in place of a section of the stud wall to form a "T" - the reverse of what you have now. I certainly wouldn't be demolishing the upstairs wall.

It seems a strange way of doing it in the first place, unless someone originally wanted a "clean" through lounge without a nib before someone else decided to separate them back into two.

I'd do a bit more investigation first, or rather get an SE to have a look - the existing wall with the two doorways might be enough to support the beam, possibly with a steel post set into the blue stud wall or some blockwork/a structural stud wall in place of a section of the stud wall to form a "T" - the reverse of what you have now. I certainly wouldn't be demolishing the upstairs wall.

It seems a strange way of doing it in the first place, unless someone originally wanted a "clean" through lounge without a nib before someone else decided to separate them back into two.

Yes the old couple had knocked it through before. When we moved in we extended the house for a new living room so we split the room into a dinning room (blue room) with office on the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back