RSJ perpendicular to cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No doubt the answer to this is obvious, but I've not found it yet. If an RSJ is sitting in a cavity wall and is at 90 degrees to the wall, rather than in line with it...... how do you get the 150mm bearing? Do u have to build a peer under the steal? Or can it just sit on the innerleaf of the cavity wall.... which will only be a 100mm bearing..... confused

Attachments

• 20210130_102754.jpg
    20210130_102754.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 262
Sponsored Links
Either as calcs show or as is more common these days with the proliferation of building notices submitted a week after the work has commenced with no information whatsover, subject to loading, spans etc on the steel I accept 100mm bearing as long as there is a decent size padstone, basically an over engineered approach. If there is any doubt then I request calcs. No doubt Woody the B Control "expert" will contradict this, but this is an approach adopted by all the BCO's I know, but you really need speak to your BCO to so if he's happy with this approach.

You just put a 100-wide spreader under it. The length of the spreader depends on the load the beam is carrying and the material the wall is built of; for normal domestic loading, 200-300mm long should be adequate.
2021-01-30_113512.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps. Tony, when u refer to a spreader, I assume its a 300 mm long, 100mm wide cast concrete padstone, or is it something else? And if its two beams, for supporting a cavity wall above, would it need to be a longer spreader?

No doubt the answer to this is obvious, but I've not found it yet. If an RSJ is sitting in a cavity wall and is at 90 degrees to the wall, rather than in line with it...... how do you get the 150mm bearing? Do u have to build a peer under the steal? Or can it just sit on the innerleaf of the cavity wall.... which will only be a 100mm bearing..... confused

As others have said -spread the load with a padstone or a steel strip if its easier for the situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back