RSJ Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

Quick question regarding an RSJ Calc.

There is currently a trussed partition providing intermediary support to the ends of the 2nd floor, floor joists. The joists are sitting on the external walls of the building but are being supported at their ends in the middle of the room by this partition.

The span from wall to wall is about 7 meters , the joists are 8x2 with their span from the wall to this timber partition being about 3.5m.

Im planning to run an rsj in place of the trusses partition and was curious as to what size steel I would need. They would probably sit about 150mm into double skinned 225mm party walls. The span from these walls ia 6.5 meters so this is the length of the steel.

I am waiting for my SE to get back to me on a size but a friend has a few rsj's left over from a job which he is going to get rid of by the end of the weekend and I wanted to know if one of these would be suitable.

Obviously calcs would need to be submitted so I am not asking for this but would like to know roughly what size I would need so I can tell my friend to keep 1 or 2 in the size range that can save me a few bob.

I have attached a pic to make things a bit clearer

Its the partition to the right I am posting about.

Thank you for your time guys.[/img]

Sponsored Links
If the beam is only carrying floor joists...

Something like a 203 UC 46...

Or a pair of 203x133UBs, or a pair of 152 UC 37s.

What size sections can you get hold of?

Wow, look at those stud partitions with diagonal bracing, must have been a ball-ache to cut all those diagonals...!

Why have you cleaned 'em up so well if you intend ripping out?

Wow, look at those stud partitions with diagonal bracing, must have been a ball-ache to cut all those diagonals...!
Of course, with the diagonal bracing, they may well be there to give the building some lateral stability...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies

Well he says he has UB 254 x 102 x 28 a UB 305 x 102 x 25 and a UB 305 x 127 x 37

Would any of these be suitable then I can tell my SE I would like to use one of them?

Thank you guys

No because he's a phantom SE - there are plenty of them around this forum.

Nosey is right - why did he clean them all up if they are being skipped?

I'm not quite sure what your implying?

All lath/plaster was broken away to asses what's holding what, it wasn't cleaned up, again not quite sure what's being implied but this is the only wall out of 5 that appears to be supporting something.

SE is going to come back with calcs on Wednesday, the steels are getting taken away tomorrow hence the post.

I came on here for friendly advice not accusations that I am trying to save fees on an SE which would be impossible to do due to Building control,which Ive just realised you may be trying to imply.

I do appreciate people's time on forums such as this but do not understand why you guys are viewing my honesty and lack of knowledge as being clever or cunning.

Once again thank you for your time.

All lath/plaster was broken away to asses what's holding what, it wasn't cleaned up, again not quite sure what's being implied.
I wasn't implying just curious. I could have hacked away about a foot at the top to establish loading, ho hum, without having to be quite as thorough. ;)

Joes just fishing...

Ah ok, looking back I should have done that.

Will any of those steels be any use to me? If not then does anyone else want any of them?

Many Thanks

Will any of those steels be any use to me?

Yes, you should be able to use those steels one way or another.

You should be able to use the 305x127 by itself if the ends are well built in.
If you raise the beam between the joists rather than underneath them, then you could take it as fully restrained and you could use the 254x102.
You'll have virtually no downstand too if you do that.

Thanks for your reply Ronny

Ok so I have managed to get hold of the 254x102

As you said I think putting the joists between the beam will be better, that way my downstand wont be too much.

Lets just hope my SE says its ok.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back