RSJ sitting on centre of padstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. New to this forum here but had a question.

So I'm currently doing a dormer conversion and have ordered some steels 2 sets of 5.5meter steels with end plate splices in the middle to bolt them together. Total length of beams is 5.5m.

So I removed bricks and fitted the 100mm deep padstones. When the beams arrived I got a few friends to help fit them. One of the beam sits perfectly on the padstone.

The other side where I assume the house isn't level is longer.

So the width of the house with 100mm engineering brick removed is 5.6meters.

Long story short. My steels sit on the centre of the padstone and not fully on the padstone. I understand it should be 100mm.

So each end now its 50mm on each side of padstone.

Would this be okay.

I've just paid £1250 for on set. In hindsight I should have measured both sides but I assumed both sides would be same. It's a mid terrace 1930s house.

Would appreciate some guidance please

P.s I spoke to a few builders and a few advised I should be OK even though the minimum should be 100mm. He said 50/60mm is fine if its a proper padstone which it is.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did a structural engineer do the calculations for you? I would ask them.

I'd be less worried about the steel and padstone and more concerned that the load is eccentric onto the wall below.

I'd be less worried about the steel and padstone and more concerned that the load is eccentric onto the wall below.
Hi yes. Structural engineer did the calculations.

I just spoke to him today and he said it would be fine structuraly but the building inspector may not be happy with it.

Structural engineer advised to just brick it up and cement it. But he re assured me it will be fine.
Anyone else got any opinions here.?

Sponsored Links

Also the padstone is sitting on a party wall with bricks interlocking both sides. If that's what you meant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back