RSJ sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am a newbie on here,

i need to Calculate the sizes of 2 rsj's needed to support a opening for a doorway and removal of a load bearing wall. i have tried using the software supabeam but the steel suppliers has said that the sizes are old and not made anymore. i have been quoted £500 to do the calcs.

any advise/help?.

Sponsored Links
hey mark,
i'm no expert but in my experience an 8 inch rsj is used for load bearing walls, doorways and windows on non load bearing not as stringent. In general youve got to allow 150mm on either side of it so just add 300 to your opening. The bigger the opening the more you should give the rsj. Hope this helps.
curadh

markvirgo said:
Hi, i am a newbie on here,

i need to Calculate the sizes of 2 rsj's needed to support a opening for a doorway and removal of a load bearing wall. i have tried using the software supabeam but the steel suppliers has said that the sizes are old and not made anymore. i have been quoted £500 to do the calcs.

any advise/help?.

What sizes have you worked out? i can give you the size/weight equivalent.

Im imagining maybe a 203x203x52??
or 8x8

hi, thanks for the replies.

203/152/52 and 152/127/37 grade 43. are the supabeam sizes.

Sponsored Links
Yes, 203 x 152 is no longer available, the nearest (upwards) would be a 203x203x52 UC, and the 152x127 would be a 152x152x37 UC
Althought theses are the samee mass as the old sizes, the web and flanges may be slightly thinner due to the size increase.
For the 203x203, a slightly larger mass is available. 60kg/m, but for the 152x152, 37 is the maximum mass available.
They are the new eqivalent sizes, im not saying put those in your house, but if your happy with your calcs and the slight increase in sizes do what you will.I cant remember of the top of my head which grade has superseeded 43, i think its S275, but your supplier should help there.

http://www.corusconstruction.com/iframe.asp?indexID=55&URL=/spmc/SectProp/UC_SP_Frm.html

thanks for the reply's.

i will tell the building inspector that i will be using them sizes and see what he say's.

seams correct to me. thanks

There's nothing stopping you putting an over spec RSJ in place or pricing on that--cost alot less than £500 aswell

putting in an overrated rsj is ok but for the weight. i have been told that the 203x203x52 UC at a lenght of 4.55m would be about 250kgs. which is heavy enought to lift by hand.

markvirgo said:
putting in an overrated rsj is ok but for the weight. i have been told that the 203x203x52 UC at a lenght of 4.55m would be about 250kgs. which is heavy enought to lift by hand.

Thats 550lb's !! How many Shredded Wheat do you have !???????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

236.6kg.
If you dont already know, when the size is written as 203x203x52
The 89 would be the mass, or weight of that particular size section, per metre length.

Eg 52 x 4.55 = 236.6.

As a fabricator, i deal with these a lot, nice light stuff like that is a pleasure to work with!
If there is no means of mechanical lifting, make sure you have plenty of mates on hand, even if it costs you a few beers!

IT IS NOT VERY DIFFICULT, I CAN HELP.........THE SIZE OF THE RSJ WILL DEPEND UPON THE SIZE OF THE OPENING....IF IT IS SMALL OPENING LIKE 1 TO 1.2 METERS YOU MAY NOT NEED RSJ'S ALL YOU WILL NEED IS ONE OR TWO CONCRETE LINTELS. SIZE OF THE OPENING IS VERY IMPORTANT AND ALSO HOW MANY FLOORS ARE IN THE PROPERTY AS WELL AS WHAT IS THE WIDTH OF THE WALL WHERE YOU WANT MAKE THE OPENING. IT YOU CAN POST THIS INFORMATION, I COULD ADVISE FURTHER......GOOD LUCK

Mark, from your post above you seem to be implying that the beam/s will be 4.55m. If so you need to be careful as the deflection of a beam that length can be considerable.

How exactly have you calculated your loads? Building control will not just want to see stress calcs they will also want to know how the loads were calculated and distributed as well.

Also - a slight aside - RSJs are no longer made in any form any more. The modern equivilant is a Universal Beam.

dont want to crush your spirits but the original post is 2 years old??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back