rubber pipe instaed of copper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitting a new plastic cold water tank in the loft to replace the 40 year old metal one which sits above the hot water cylinder.

the path that the pipes will run from the new tank to the current connections on the old one are tricky and difficult & will require numerous corner joints etc. any reason i cant use 16mm & 22mm epdm rubber hose to link new tank connections and old tank current connections? this would make fitting so much easier?

compression fitting would be used temporarily to seat an olive onto the stubs and then rubber hose over these with pipe clip.

Sponsored Links
Do it :mrgreen: but don't forget the before and after the flood pics.

Use Speedfit or similar.

Sponsored Links
Not seen them in 10m lengths either.
I was referring to the fact that the EPDM is overbraided for strength/protection, not suggesting he used flexis.

well it is over braided for strength and stands 10 bar so it IS strong! what point are you making?

it normally comes on 30 / 50m rolls & any hose supplier will stock 5/8th hose which is a perfect fit over an olived 15mm copper pipe. it costs less than copper, no corners or soldering and is infinately more flexible.

i suppose it is susceptable to mice and rats etc but apart from that what precisely is the problem?

I don't have a problem, you can use what you like.

Is it approved for potable water.

Because you can buy plastic barrier pipe made and approved for the job.

well it is over braided for strength and stands 10 bar so it IS strong! what point are you making?
You didn't mention in your first post that you were thinking of using overbraided EPDM. That might have been helpful.

You didn't mention in your first post that you were thinking of using overbraided EPDM. That might have been helpful.

sorry i didn't realise there was other types which weren't overbraided. now that its clear that we are talking overbraided epdm hose can anyone actually tell me what the problems would be?

i mean bring on the airlocks - what sort of answer is that? if the pipe has a continuous rise then where will we see the airlock?

have you not considered having a pro doing it? - yes i have and have considered it and have used 'pros' previously. however i like diy and in any case my question was about the suitability of epdm braided hose instead of copper. if you have a view on that point please let us see it. if you haven't a view on that point then i suppose you are not a pro.

what precisely is the problem?
The side of the bed someone got out of this morning for starters
- what does that mean?

Because you can buy plastic barrier pipe made and approved for the job. - so what? we know that. if you read my post again you will realise that the route from tank to old pipes is arduous. for this reason i asked about the suitability of epdm hose. why are you discussing barrier pipe?

crikey! - a straight forward question and we get a pile of irrelevant comments.

has anyone used epdm hose for plumbing and what were the consequences?
can anyone suggest any problems this might bring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back