water hammer - flexible pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So new cistern connected to cold water mains via plastic push fit and old copper pipe. New cistern valve seems to snap off rather than the slow close of ball valves. The creates a hammer more in the old pipe work which was "professionally" done when the house was built. That is supported and clipped with nails. That's a given unless I lift all the floors and fix it properly with plastic clips. And that would just cure the bang not stop the shockwave. The new plastic pipe is clipped.

One option is to add an arrestor (cheapest at toolstation it seems) but I wonder if fitting a piece of flexible hose would also do the trick. Gut feel is that the rubber hose would absorb the shock, at least some it. I wonder if anyone has tried this and has it worked? A rubber hose is only a few quid so about 1/10 the price of an arrestor.

Sponsored Links
What fill valve have you got?

I sometimes find that Torbeck valves give this problem, but Fluidmasters are better.

Cistern is a roper rhodes cascade. Dunno what valve that is.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is what it looks like. Form the pictures of Torbeck and fluidmaster I would have said it was fluidmaster. I suppose it might be worthwhile taking the valve apart to check there is no muck in, but I would have though that would give leaking or slow filling rather than making the action snappier.

It's neither a Fluidmaster nor a Torbeck Eco.

Any markings on the valve visible?

It looks similar to a fluidmaster but it's not exactly the same as any of pictures on screwfix so it looks like a copy.

I tried a flexible hose and that didn't help, or at least not by that much.

I tried slowing down the fill by closing the service valve partly. Results were 50s fill (fully open), and 70s = hammer. 100s and 80s no hammer.

I did wonder if I was running the valve to fast so I gave Fluidmaster a call (not their valve but very helpful and if need be I could fit fluidmaster as a replacement). Any one looking for the fulidmaster web site need this URL

http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/

not the plain .com which is USA stuff. From what fluidmaster told me my fill times weren't over fast. BUT, when on the FM uk site I looked at their troubleshoot suggestions. One of which was turn off cold water, open all taps. Close all taps and turn on water and then open taps starting nearest stopcock to get rid of air or move the air around. I tried this and the hammer stopped so I must have had some air trapped in the cold pipes acting like a spring. Filling the cistern took the pressure off the "spring" and then when the valve closed this spring bounces around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back