Rubber washer seal fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With fittings that seal with the rubber washer forming a seal e.g. tap tails, would they leak if they were over tightened?

In that situation, should you slacken them off?

I had this situation earlier today and my inclination was to tighten it further to stop the leak and am now reflecting on what the issue may have been…

The rubber washer is still intact.

I would appreciate your advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes, tighten too much and the tap thread can cut the washer. Once over-tightened, the washer will need replacing

Get yourself the appropriate Fix-a-tap rubber washer kit from a company called Essex.

Sponsored Links
Even if it looks okay?
Two things happen when you overtighten a elastomeric seal in a joint.

You can overly deform the washer or you can damage it.
Both will cause the seal to fail.

If that happens, you need to redo the joints, applying the correct amount if effort.

If the seal is not damaged, you are likely ok. If replacing it is physically easy but means an expensive and long trip out, don't bother. Just clean up, reset and reseal. You will likely be fine.

If replacing it is a massive pita but you can get another seal easily, then do so.

Professional installers don't want to come back to a seal thats started leaking again so they er on the side if caution.

For you, its easy. Just make sure its ok and reseat properly.

You should be fine

Are you talking about a flexi hose that is connecting onto the tail of a tap or are you talking about tap tails and the female end with the washer is being fitted to say an ISO valve?

Are you talking about a flexi hose that is connecting onto the tail of a tap or are you talking about tap tails and the female end with the washer is being fitted to say an ISO valve?
I am referring to the flexi tap tails like this:
upload_2021-12-21_10-11-25.png

where one end connects on to a fitting like this:
upload_2021-12-21_10-10-27.png

This uses a rubber seal connection as I understand it.

Is silicone grease ever a good idea in this situation?

That's a huge question which has it's own industry built around it!

But in short, only if the manufacturer of the joint says so.

I wouldn't bother.

Just make sure uts clean, the threading is true (crossing threads is easy) and nip it up. Hand tight +1/4 turn ish.....

Edit.
Just seen your photo.
"Hand tight only" is clearly stated in the manf directions whenever i have fitted them.

Once over-tightened, the washer will need replacing
Can you help me out with an indication to which washers I need in this situation please? I have a toolstation and screwfix down the road from me and will buy some spares for future.
Thanks again

Just a light smear of silicone grease on the o-rings on the male ends to help them slide into the tap end is always a good idea and then just as tight as you can get them by hand. The female end doesn't need any. You have pictured compression ends on the tails, are they more like these with female ends?

th

If you are fitting them to the 1/2" end of the coupler, then hand tight and a 1/4 turn is all that should be needed. The 1/2" male end has a flat mating surface so shouldn't cut into the washer.

You have pictured compression ends on the tails, are they more like these with female ends?
Yes, that’s the end on the flexi tails. Isn’t that the same as what I posted?

The female end of this goes on to the compression fitting I posted. It’s not a coupler as it has a flat mating surface.

I definitely tightened it more than a 1/4 turn after hand tightening. Will inspect and replace the washer.

Can you please point out the replacement washers I require for this please?

Thanks again

Isn’t that the same as what I posted
Nope, your pic had compression ends on them but not to worry

It’s not a coupler as it has a flat mating surface
It's called a 15mm compression to 1/2" straight coupler ;)

Unless you tightened it up like 2+ turns past hand tight I wouldn't worry about it. As the male end is flat it shouldn't have cut the rubber seal and if it's still dry then should be all good

Never had to replace them so not sure where you would get the rubber ones as they are quite specific as to their inner and outer sizes, a standard 1/2" rubber washer doesn't quite fit if I remember rightly.

You do get fibre ones I think and they are available at SF and TS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back